SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow Saab owners i'm looking for help and tips on dropping my oil pan and replacing the turbo. since i've never dropped an oil pan in a saab before i just have some few questions regarding clearance and what will be necessary to remove it. i saw a sticky thread on someone dropping theres but it said he owned a 1982 900 so wasn't too sure how similar it'd be. as for the turbo my main concerns are what will have to be taken off and just looking for some tips from someone who did it before, thanks for the help my Saab 93 is a 2001 B205L with around 140K miles

·
Registered
554 Posts
did it on my 2000 Viggen....
not too bad..

Trouble areas
-Middle subframe bolts.. be prepared to heat them with map gas....
-2 downpipe bolts... be prepared to use some inginuity ..... cutting... removing studs... etc...

other than that... not too rough...

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
did it on my 2000 Viggen....
not too bad..

Trouble areas
-Middle subframe bolts.. be prepared to heat them with map gas....
-2 downpipe bolts... be prepared to use some inginuity ..... cutting... removing studs... etc...

other than that... not too rough...

Not a bad job, a little long to do the first time.

Break the middle subframe bolts free while the car is still on the ground using a breaker bar and a long pipe. Mark the subframe location before loosening any bolts.

The only fastener that was difficult on my 9-3 was the lower nut on the down pipe. You get about 1/8 of a turn at a time and you need a really short wrench. If I had to do it again, I'd buy one of those box end ratchets. I don't think the NG900 is as tight in there because it doesn't have the upper cat.

Use the "block of wood to leverage the subframe down" technique that you see mentioned. Works well. replace the o-ring on the pickup tube and the two on the oil delivery tube.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help guys we had to loosen the sub frame and raise the tranny and it was quite a pain but worth it if you guys can help me figure out how to post pics on here ill show you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts