SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the oil pan today... cleaned up and everything. Didnt look awful, screen was clogged some it appeared. Restarted car later and it sounded much more quiet which is good.

The reason I dropped the pan though was because of the low oil light coming on and awful engine ticking and engine noise when their was plenty of oil in the engine. While under the car i discovered a tube leading to the pan was cracked. It is the only rubber tube that connects to the sump, i believe it to be the breather tube, part of the pcv system. Im not exactly sure what this means? Any help on identifying the potential hazards, the tube, and a pcv diagram would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
HI, there is plenty of info around on how to replace your PCV system. Check the Tech help / PCV fix. <http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20040919.Saab_9-5_crank_case_vent_fix/>
Now is it low oil or low oil pressure light. 2 different things, I suspect you have low oil pressure, the ticking could be hydraulic valve lifter because of low pressure. Either way YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT NOW. Don't drive it until you know, absolutely no high rev's or load.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Is the oil tube on the sump broken or just the hose?

Dropped the oil pan today... cleaned up and everything. Didnt look awful, screen was clogged some it appeared. Restarted car later and it sounded much more quiet which is good.

The reason I dropped the pan though was because of the low oil light coming on and awful engine ticking and engine noise when their was plenty of oil in the engine. While under the car i discovered a tube leading to the pan was cracked. It is the only rubber tube that connects to the sump, i believe it to be the breather tube, part of the pcv system. Im not exactly sure what this means? Any help on identifying the potential hazards, the tube, and a pcv diagram would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the hose that goes to the oil pan. Only one you have to disconnect if you remove pan. From looking at diagrams I think it's the hose from the PVC oil trap to sump. I'm just curious on what this crack will
Cause in my engine . Is it critical to fix ASAP or is it just going to be an oil leak.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, I assumed also my lifter noiseand light was low oil pressure which is why I dropped the sump to check for clogs in the pickup. After starting again when I finished last night It sounded great no lifter noise at all. I feel driving it today will
Let me know if the noise and light are going to come back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts