SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was accelerating my 2000 SE V6 Turbo pretty hard from a stop sign the other day and the engine started missing and I experienced loss of power and a slight shuddering (me and the car, haha). The check engine light immediately came on blinking, then stayed solid. I was able to continue driving the additional few blocks home and immediately turned off the car. I checked the codes with an ODBII and I found: P0304 Cyl. 4 Misfire, and P1304 which is another SAAB-specific misfire code related to cyl. 4, I believe.

By reseaching other threads, I figured a bad DIC on the front bank of cylinders was the culprit. I removed the front DIC and found Cyl. 4 with a pool of oil sitting on top the spark plug. Has anyone experienced this issue with a DIC going bad? I can't imagine that the oil could have anything to do with a bad DIC, so I'm wondering if it could be a valve cover gasket leak.

Anyway, I know many of you may have had similar problems, especially with DIC, so I wanted to get some feedback before proceeding with a fix. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
My guess is the pool of oil is from a bad gasket. I replaced the front valve cover on my V6 recently and found the old rubber gasket rock hard and it had no more sealing capabilities.

I think the DIC also has oil inside but not sure if leaking from the DIC is common.

Replacing both DIC's on my car was one of the best things I did. These things gets lazy over time and the ride was better with the new DIC's. Best of all now I dont have to worry about getting stranded by a failing DIC:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Look for a crack in the plastic around the sparkplug towers on the DIC. When mine went bad, I found a small puddle of what I thought at the time was power steering fluid. I couldn't find a ps leak, but 2 days later, I started getting random misfire codes. Removed the DIC and found a small amount of the same type oil on the plug tower, and the crack it leaked from. The oil is a coolant for the DIC electronics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I had no idea that these things had any liquid running through them, but that makes perfect sense with what I am seeing. I initially thought valve cover gasket, just because I figured that was the only way oil could get on TOP of the plugs. But I was skeptical because I didn't really see any signs of oil dripping down from the gasket toward the plugs.

After inspecting, I do notice there are significant cracks in both DICs. (I ended up taking the rear DIC off as well just to check it out and it looked the same as the front, even though it hadn't thrown any codes on those cylinders. Was probably just a matter of time before those started acting up as well since there was DIC oil/coolant leaking onto the plugs from that one too.)

I ordered 2 new DICs from Autoparts Warehouse ($253 apiece, OUCH!) along with 6 new NGK plugs. Should be a quick and easy job for next weekend. Hopefully that'll get me back out on the road! Thank you both for your input.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
When you get the DICs make sure you install them, let them sit for an hour or two before starting the car. You want to ensure the oil in the DICs are around the coils so you don't burn them out prematurely.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had this problem before and what it ended up being was when i pulled the front dic the spring that connects the plug to dic fell out and i didnt notice it. I went back found the spring on the ground and reinstalled it and the car ran perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts