SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Until I change my current garage set-up at home - there is no way I would entertain the hybrid set-up, as I'd have to basically pay someone to do it. My brother in law doesn't have the time either - even though we have access to a hoist when I visit - So I keep those family requests simple.

The flake style sludge - I hope is just the remains of sludge that existed in the system - that wasn't fully removed when the pan drop was done & the PCV added - as suggested by a few people.
Thanks for the tip regarding the main bearing/flywheel end.

So my question is this - if I have oil seals that need replacing etc - won't the oil pressure check give a slightly distorted reading?
Is a better plan to replace the seals first, check pressure then, do the pan drop & clean? I need guidance here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
#3 (the middle) main bearing is the one that goes.

Oil seals/o-rings won't make a measurable difference in pressure. The bearings/oil sludge damage WILL make a difference.

You don't need to mount a gauge permanently. Get one of the sandwich adapters mentioned above, put it on with a gauge temporarily mounted out of the way under the hood (I have a mechanics gauge with a flexible hose for this use), and run the engine up to temp. Any problems will show with the car running in the driveway. You don't need to watch while you drive. Get it as hot as you can (long highway drive) and see what happens at idle.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
I wonder if cutting the balance chain to stop wearing those shafts would be a good option. I know of the potential vibration issue. I know guys who've rebuilt and bypassed it by balancing the motor. But, this would just be "cut and run" on the balance chain.

Then again, I do know of a few guys who have lost built motors where they have left out the chain, but left in the shafts, on rebuild. Fairly knowledgeable guys. They have blamed it on worn BC bearings. I wonder how that can happen if the shaft isn't turning and wearing (more), but they are fairly sharp guys. They say to always install the GS port blocking kit when rebuilding.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I wonder if cutting the balance chain to stop wearing those shafts would be a good option. I know of the potential vibration issue. I know guys who've rebuilt and bypassed it by balancing the motor. But, this would just be "cut and run" on the balance chain.

Then again, I do know of a few guys who have lost built motors where they have left out the chain, but left in the shafts, on rebuild. Fairly knowledgeable guys. They have blamed it on worn BC bearings. I wonder how that can happen if the shaft isn't turning and wearing (more), but they are fairly sharp guys. They say to always install the GS port blocking kit when rebuilding.
If you just cut the chain but dont do something about the Oil feed to the tensioner it has the potential to blow the Piston out of the tensioner.
I have chain deleted on recent rebuild. I left the shafts , the bearings were not bad , but I did remove the tensioner and install the GS blocking plate to the oil feed for the tensionerer. Time will tell if that was a bad call , but I cant see how the Shaft bearings would continue to wear .
The car has no mileage to date post rebuild, but vibration hasnt been noticed ( 2 litre).

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you just cut the chain but dont do something about the Oil feed to the tensioner it has the potential to blow the Piston out of the tensioner.
I have chain deleted on recent rebuild. I left the shafts , the bearings were not bad , but I did remove the tensioner and install the GS blocking plate to the oil feed for the tensionerer. Time will tell if that was a bad call , but I cant see how the Shaft bearings would continue to wear .
The car has no mileage to date post rebuild, but vibration hasnt been noticed ( 2 litre).
I did the same exact thing on my rebuild and have had 0 issues in 40k miles now. Just to clarify i did the balance shaft chain delete and used the genuine saab sealing plate after removing the tensioner.(left the shafts in) also no noticeable vibrations car runs smooth but i did have everything balanced at the machine Shop and they are very reputable (Larrys in CT)

Also Bob if your reading this (this is coming from the guys at Genuine saab Nick T perhaps? With the balance shaft delete on the 2.0s you can hasordly notice a change or in my case i cant tell a difference at all. Now he said with the 2.3s you can actually tell theres an extra vibration like you'd get from sport mounts at idle. So nothing to bad but the 2.0 balance shaft deletes are known to not cause any abnormal vibrations.

As far as long term any small vibrations in a motor are ill advised causing premature wear so im not sure i would have done the chain delete if i didnt get the whole assembly balanced

21 - 25 of 25 Posts