SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the problem is I was on my way to the airport and after I pass through a toll area, I started to accelerate back to cruising speeds, and all of a sudden, the car dies. I get it pulled over and look under the hood, but there is nothing out of place. Tried to start the car again and it starts, but idle is very jumpy. Also the oil light and warning light keeps going on and off. Got the car back home, had to keep the car from stalling out in low RPMS. After letting the car sit for a week, I started it again and drove fine till it got warm. Then it started to show the oil light and warning chime again. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hi
Here in the UK it is a long bank holiday so my guess is that there are a few members out and about away from a PC :)

Your problem?

Sounds to me like a serious case of low oil pressure, probably caused by the very very common issue of sludging.
First job I would do if I were you is drop the sump.
Clean out all debris and clean the oil pick up strainer.
Then new SYNTHETIC oil and filter and hope the damage isn't already done.
Also check the breather system is working correctly. Collapsed breather hoses will not be doing the engine any favours.

Use the search facility and look for sludge and PCV
Alternatively look on the main page on the stickies for maintenance issues. Both are well covered there.

Good luck

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I did drop the oil pan and did the whole sludge cleansing and did the PCV update. All were done about 1 1/2yrs ago. Also I have been using synthetic oil all the time.
What would cause the oil light/pressure to drop after driving for mostly an hour before this happened. It hasne done it again yet, but I havent taken it out for a long drive yet. "Affraid it will die again."

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Check your vacuum lines; and the connections to the TB. I don't think you have an oil problem; the lights are probably coming on because your RPM's are dropping when the car wants to cut off. "CPS maybe" Check your connections also check the charge air connections; I once had a hole on the bottom hose and it caused this problem once air got in; also check your gas cap.

Thanks for the info. I did drop the oil pan and did the whole sludge cleansing and did the PCV update. All were done about 1 1/2yrs ago. Also I have been using synthetic oil all the time.
What would cause the oil light/pressure to drop after driving for mostly an hour before this happened. It hasne done it again yet, but I havent taken it out for a long drive yet. "Affraid it will die again."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't drive it until u find the problem I had this same problem in my wife's car and we have to replace the engine now. Good luck hope you find the problem in time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check those lines and gas cap.

I wouldn't drive it until u find the problem I had this same problem in my wife's car and we have to replace the engine now. Good luck hope you find the problem in time.
What were the signs with your car?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sorry if the question is obvious but have you checked the oil level?
any CEL?
if yes and then no. follow Saaber95

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All hoses check and all are good. Gas cap secure and oil level full. No CEL. It seems to have gone away now and drives fine, but like I stated before, i havent driven it for long periods of time since the problem started. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
867 Posts
always its stops not working when you get close to fixing.
Did you check your compression? just a thought.
Tight when cold, leaky when hot??

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
replace it. no that hard to do and not that expensive. Use the Bosch one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts