SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes. Sounds okay. And the oil pressure light did not come on when I started it and ran it for a few minutes. But as I wrote earlier, there is a wierd smell to the oil and the exhaust fumes, like a solvent. Wondering if just an oil change with 0W - 40 full synthetic would do the trick, or if I should just bite the bullet and drop the sump, and see if there's sludge in the strainer.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Take the dipstick out and put a match or lighter to it. Does it burn? If so you have fuel in your oil and you should change it immediately. AND figure out how fuel is getting in there.

That and buy yourself a sandwich adapter and put an oil pressure gauge in. you need to understand your oil pressure and what's going on. The light is not enough information.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Take the dipstick out and put a match or lighter to it. Does it burn? If so you have fuel in your oil and you should change it immediately. AND figure out how fuel is getting in there.

That and buy yourself a sandwich adapter and put an oil pressure gauge in. you need to understand your oil pressure and what's going on. The light is not enough information.
Thanks for that tip about the match and dipstick. I tried it, and the oil does not burn. So, I guess there's no gas in the oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just had someone look at and smell the oil on my car. He didn't see any issues with it. Smells and feels like oil. He suggested removing the oil pressure sensor and hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check the oil pressure. Does anyone know where the oil pressure sensor is? Is there a video link for a 2002 Saab 9-5 showing how it can be removed? I've googled and haven't found one online.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
The sensor is on the back of the block facing the firewall it is more or less under the starter.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
A pain in the neck to take the sensor out and put in a gauge. you have to take the starter out to do it.

much easier to get a sandwich adapter and put it under the oil filter and connect the gauge there.

this is the one I have (somewhere, haven't used it for a few years)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok. I watched the video by Glowshift. But I don't see how or where you read the oil pressure? What am I missing? Does the glow shift product come with a gauge, or do I have to buy that separately? And is the sandwich adapter just a temporary thing? You remove it after you've read the pressure?

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
No, you need to buy a gauge separately. This just gives you a place to plug in.

you're going to need to get the gauge anywya, so that's already in the cost. The pancake adapter just adds $30 to the equation

PM me, I might be willing to dig mine up and sell it to you with a gauge. OF course as soon as I do, I'll need it again!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No, you need to buy a gauge separately. This just gives you a place to plug in.

you're going to need to get the gauge anywya, so that's already in the cost. The pancake adapter just adds $30 to the equation

PM me, I might be willing to dig mine up and sell it to you with a gauge. OF course as soon as I do, I'll need it again!
I'd be interested in buying it from you. I'm in Alberta, Canada so I'm not sure what the shipping fees would be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I saw this advertised on Amazon.ca. Would this tester with with the sandwich adapter, unclemiltie?
TU-12 Engine Oil Pressure Tester Gauge Diagnostic Test Service Kit by Gazechimp

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
There's no link. I just went to Amazon.ca and searched. Here is the additional info they gave about it:
New (1) from CDN$ 23.99 + FREE Shipping
  • TU-12 Oil Pressure Gauge Suitable for petrol-gasoline and diesel engines.
  • Contain 2 brass adapters: 14mm, 18mm
  • Tester has 24" long flexible rubber hose (WP 300psi) .
  • Rubber housing protects the gauge from damage.
  • Easy Reading Gauge Scale: 0-7 bar (0-100 psi)

·
Registered
7,699 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
To a sandwisch
I bought something like this, something that I snaked into the passenger compartment and attached below the glove box so that I could see the oil pressure while I was driving

By the sounds of it, then, the sandwich adapter was kept in for a significant period of time? How long? And, does the pressure gauge that you purchased come with hosing and with brass adapter fittings? If not, what size hose and fittings did you get for it and where?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Now I see that you also have to purchase the copper tubing installation kit for $15.79 as well. Correct?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
You're going to have to take this on on your own at some point, the gauge can stay permanently mounted if you like.

Call the glowshift folks and tell them what you want to do and they will fix you right up.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts