SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Took my '09 93 for an oil change yesterday at 7%. Today the oil life indicater is reading 78%. Is that normal? Dealer is saying it calculated based on my driving habits and adjusted itself, but is has never done this before. It always goes back to 100% after an oil change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
683 Posts
My 2008 does this, too. I'm guessing only Harry Potter understands the flipping algorithm because it's based on magic. I've learned to interpret the SID reading as a % of 10,000 miles, the nominal service interval. It drops faster than 1:1, but it's a reasonable predictor of when you'll need service. Typically, I get about 7,000 miles in mixed driving.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The algorithm takes into consideration engine starts, operating temperature, RPM's and other factors. it's a good indicator but not the Grail. Mine (03) always resets to 100%, but it's calibrated to 15K as 03-05's are, I don't even use it. I just change every 7.5K.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The '06 n up algorithm is primarily based on miles and is pretty screwy. I just had mine changed a few weeks ago and it only went back to 46%. The countdown is just slower but does same 9500 miles.

The '03-05 algorithm was much more accurate and did base things correctly.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The '06 n up algorithm is primarily based on miles and is pretty screwy. I just had mine changed a few weeks ago and it only went back to 46%. The countdown is just slower but does same 9500 miles.

The '03-05 algorithm was much more accurate and did base things correctly.
Never knew about the change....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts