SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 9-3 just had the oil changed at the dealer but the oil life still says 23%. and 103 days.
I just read about resetting the computer but I thought the computer would analyze the oil by itself. So theoreticly I could rest the computer with oil that shows it needs changing (say 10% oil life left) and rest the computer and it would show the oil life as 100%?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
There is no oil-quality monitor, it's simply a mathematical algorithm that calculates miles, temperatures, number of starts and such and then assumes the quality of the oil. In other words, the oil quality indicator is more of a fancy stop-watch and does not measure the quality of the oil.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
An excerpt from a Saab TSB:

INTERMEDIATE SERVICE is set by an algorithm that determines when service is required. Miles driven, crankshaft revolutions, number of starts/cold starts, ambient temperatures, speed and engine temperature are among the measurements used to compute the interval with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years.

NOTE: The actual oil condition is NOT measured, only the above calculations performed.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
sptsdn said:
the oil quality indicator is more of a fancy stop-watch and does not measure the quality of the oil.
The validity of this algorithmic approach to estimating oil quality has been verified several time by used oil analysis submitted by members here. In other words, if you actually change the oil and reset the monitor at the point when it tells you to do so, your oil will be fine until it prompts you again, regardless of the number of miles on the oil.

Bear in mind you might have to make adjustments if you change air filters to something other than stock. The stock filter does a great job of limiting particulates. Again, this has been verified several times by UOA. The algorithm will cover you whether you drive like your grandma or like you just stole the car, but it can't tell if you changed intake parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts