SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a 2005 saab 92x. i just did my first oil change. and the user manual states that it takes 4.2 us quarts of oil. i measured out exactly 4.2, and the dip stick reads just at the 'low' mark. i dont lke seeing it at this level, and want to add oil to make it read normal/ full. but at the same time i dont want to add too much as that will hurt the engine too. im stuck at waht to do. has anyone had any experiences like this?

My mom has a 2004 outback with a 2.0 engine as well, and our dip sticks are the same. so i know i have the right dip stick.

Some one please help

·
Registered
803 Posts
Start it and let it run until the oil light goes out.
Give it a minute or two, then check the oil again.
Add if low.

I've seen these engines take anywhere from 3 to 6.5 quarts, every engine and every oil change is different.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If the stated capacity is 4.2 qts, that is ABOUT what I would add.

These Subaru dipsticks must be awfully low on the quality scale..
3 to 6.5 is ridiculous !
Add 4.5 and be done with it, the 0.3 should hurt nothing...
Assure that old Qt.(SAE) measurements are being used, and not the more advanced, newer Metric system...

·
Registered
888 Posts
1. Change the oil and filter, then add 4 quarts of oil. Run the car for a minute to circulate the new oil.
2. Wait five minutes, then check the dipstick. It should say full, if not, add until it does. It takes the oil a few minutes to go into the pan. I have worked on many, many subarus and have never seen any take 6 quarts, except for the H6 3.0 which takes... 6 quarts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts