SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How often do you check your oil level?

Mine is checked randomly approx once every two or three weeks. More frequently if a fault is suspected or a major hardware change/repair has taken place until I'm confident the change has settled in. Level is also checked just before setting out on a lengthy journey.

Question prompted by these posts

Taken from the aftermarket filler cap thread

SectorNine50 said:
I wonder how hot it'll get...
Gazolzwurf said:
Unless an emergency top up is required one should only be touching it when the engine is cool so shouldn't be a problem
SectorNine50 said:
...why? I check my oil mid-trips all the time.
Gazolzwurf said:
What would you call 'mid-trip'?
200miles into a 400mile journey?
SectorNine50 said:
Well 150 miles into a 300 mile journey...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I check oil level every every second fillup and before starting long trips (And of course when a repair occurs) . And i am missing the Oillevel sensor of my 89 9000 Turbo. My 94 9000 CSE and the 9-5 had no sensor for oillevel anymore :eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I check mine evry few weeks and always before a road trip. Normally It needs about 500-750 ml top up every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine is checked every week (religously! Even my wife checks it with me now!)

I always check it once car has been driven and is on flat ground, so its always during the weekly trip to the petrol station. I would ideally check it cold (but its not flat outside my house), but whenever car is parked on flat ground while i go shopping or me and the wife go out to eat etc, I ALWAYS check it, even if it was checked night before!:cheesy:

And...when checking oil, when i re-insert the dipstick i DONT push it down and close it, i let it sit in the position it would once its closed and sprung upwards again.

When i first got it i used to check it after every journey to see if the car uses oil - and luckily in 2 years and 4 oil changes, i have only topped up about 200ml.

I know it sounds obssessive, but i cant help myself!;oops:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Being somewhat of a catalyst for this thread, just thought I'd say that yes, in fact, I do check my oil mid-trip. Usually we stop somewhere, and I figure might as well check it to make sure nothing is going on I'm not aware about. I'm sure blue smoke is hard to notice while driving, and while I'm not worried about my turbo going out, long trips w/ high heat and hills leave me paranoid that I may have eaten a little too much maybe. Usually I'm alright though.

We're all paranoid freaks!!! :roll: :cool: :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
blinktude said:
eek!
I haven't checked in two months.
*runs out and checks oil level*
Isn't that terrible.... I always tell my customers when I hand over their new car to check the oil lever regularly and hardly ever do it myself..... usually once a month or two... I know I'm bad ;-)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Gazolzwurf said:
Mine is checked randomly approx once every two or three weeks. More frequently if a fault is suspected or a major hardware change/repair has taken place until I'm confident the change has settled in. Level is also checked just before setting out on a lengthy journey.

my car gets a pretty thorough 'preflight inspection' every one to two weeks. fluids (oil, atf, brake, coolant), hoses (bpv, coolant, pcv), battery connections, tire pressure, lugs, treads, and a few other things. i started doing this more often since the car is slightly modified. regular checks are the best type of preventative maintenance and keeping the car in top condition. ;)

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
You know I like never really ever checked my oil, when the pistons were changed out I checked religiously until the second oil change and I never saw a change so I went bcak to my random if I think about method, but just Wednesday I was taking some twisties hard at neatly 50 MPH and I saw what I percieved as a split second of a red light on my dash. I thought I imagined it so I did it again an watched my dash and low and behold, the oil can was there.

Checked it and saw only a bit of oil covering the "ball" on the bottom of the sitck. Topped it up with a qt and it is fine now.

I will check again every few days to see what is gong on. I had the oil changed at a firestone for the first a few weeks ago and I am hoping they Just shorted me... we'll see

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
To get a correct reading on the dipstick do you just put the dipstick back in with the cap "resting" on top or are you meant to push the cap down and twist it shut ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
;oops: i always close it completely.oops.

i check mine every monday.monday is my first day off of the week.so i spend it washing the car,tidying up the interior,checking tire pressure,inspecting hoses,giving the underside a once over,and of course,checking the oil.a happy christine means a happy mr two sheds.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I check it about once a month.

my car used to need regular top ups of oil when i got it but now with the newest pcv fix and mobil 1 oil it tends to not chew oil between changes as much.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
two sheds said:
;oops: i always close it completely.oops.

i check mine every monday.monday is my first day off of the week.so i spend it washing the car,tidying up the interior,checking tire pressure,inspecting hoses,giving the underside a once over,and of course,checking the oil.a happy christine means a happy mr two sheds.
It doesn't matter either way. The yellow part is spring loaded, so no matter if you twist it shut or not the dipper always stays at the same level.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I try to check the oil regularly these days as the engine does use it.

Often the first I'd know of a low oil level is the bing-bong oil pressure warning (probably means the engine's shagged already :roll: ). Now I check it at lest once a week, but then I'm now travelling 750 - 950 business miles per week.

I'm glad that in Sweden I bought two cases of Mobil 1 oil at £20 per 4 litres and two cases of filters!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
A girl at my work asked me to have a look at her car because it wasn't running right first thing in the morning. Cutting out, not starting very well. Thought she might have a shonky battery. 12V's & 14V's. No bother. Thought I'd check the oil. Nothing. Not a mark on the dipstick. Filled it up for her and there's been no problem since. Wish I had her luck with cars. Anyway, told a couple of folk in the office and one guy laughed and said he hadn't checked his oil since it was serviced 9 months previously, "No need these days". His engine seized on his way home that night :lol:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Albert Trout said:
A girl at my work asked me to have a look at her car because it wasn't running right first thing in the morning. Cutting out, not starting very well. Thought she might have a shonky battery. 12V's & 14V's. No bother. Thought I'd check the oil. Nothing. Not a mark on the dipstick. Filled it up for her and there's been no problem since. Wish I had her luck with cars. Anyway, told a couple of folk in the office and one guy laughed and said he hadn't checked his oil since it was serviced 9 months previously, "No need these days". His engine seized on his way home that night :lol:
I finally had to change the oil for a girl friend of mine because she hadn't changed it for 45,000 miles (yes, you read that right) and I started feeling bad for the car.

Also did it for a buddy who didn't remember the last time he changed the oil since he had to add a quart every now and again he though he wouldn't need to.

Needless to say, in both cases the oil was pretty much melted chocolate... Pretty sad... :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts