SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Saab 900. Oil light flickers while accelerating. I have new sensor, cleaned the pan minimal crap in oil pick up. Car is leaking oil out of the top of the engine while running. When i pop hood after driving top of valve cover has oil on it when i leave car running in driveway get steady dripage on drive way.
question should i just do the valve cover gasket or do I need to get in there and change out all 16 valve stems? or should i be looking at something else

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oil can't leak from valve stem seals or guides. Replace the cam cover gasket, but this should not make the oil light flicker unless you are very low on oil. Faulty valve stem seals or guides will cause noticeable smoke haze and excessive oil consumotion.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I would look into replacing the check valve just behind the valve cover, its rubber gromet, and flush out that area of the valve cover on the inside. Some people have found clogged oil foutain thingys.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
I would look into replacing the check valve just behind the valve cover, its rubber gromet, and flush out that area of the valve cover on the inside. Some people have found clogged oil foutain thingys.
Ditto.

Oil does not normally flow up, so a leak from a valve cover gasket, along the edge, would not put oil on top of the valve cover, it would flow down along the head. Oil will get on top of the engine from the PCV valve and lines though, or if the serpentine belt flings it around (as coming from the crank pulley and front engine seal, from the oil cooler lines, etc.)

Another possibility is a leak at the timing chain tensioner inspection plug behind the engine close to the upper idler pulley. The tensioner has a pressurized oil line, and when I left the plug loose once, oil landed almost everywhere on that side of the engine and on top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts