SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a checkup of the my 1999 9-3S engine, I've noticed a buildup of oil in the head gasket area. It's not dripping by any means but it just looks moist. I've found a picture posted on someone else's site that shows exactly where the leak is.

Is this a head gasket issue or something else? Should I be worrying about it yet.

Thanks for any information.

Kevin.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
known, not know !!

This is known as "seepage" - necessary to do nothing , but clean it, if you wish.

As part of my much, much more comprehensive service plan, at the 5 to 7 year mark, retorque the head bolts...
This may or may not have any effect...

And what is this ?? A broken exhaust manifold bolt ?
I'd worry more about the corrosion in those pipes behind the exhaust - that heat is most damaging ...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
This picture is of a turbo, do you have a turbocharged engine, or a non-turbo with a distributor?

This looks like it could also be coming from higher up than the head gasket. There can be a small oil leak at the valve cover which flows down and pools on some part below the headgasket.

If there is oil at the same level where the exhaust manifold is connected to the motor, try to follow the traces of oil up, and check around the driver side of the motor, above the head gasket, around where the distributor attaches to the valve cover if you have one, and the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That picture isn't of my car but rather one of someone else's. I just have the leak by the red arrow and you can disregard anything else in that pic. I do have a turbo.

It doesn't look to be leaking form the valve cover but mainly around where the head gasket is. Like I said though it isn't leaking (haven't seen any drips), its just moist so maybe its just "seepage" and i can just clean it up.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts