SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed several oil leak stains on the parking place, tried to figure it out whether it's my car and damn ... it's form my Saab.

Is this usually expensive to fix?

·
Registered
70 Posts
All depends on what the cause is. First of all, do you know for sure that it is oil? Recommend putting a tray of some kind under your car to collect the fluid and confirm that is actually oil and not coolant or trans fluid. Could also be condensation from your A/C evaporator dripping on the ground which is normal. Check yor oil level too and see if it is low.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the oil level and there was almost none there on the dip stick.
Oil warning light on the dash never turned on ... but I'm still wondering if there was some damage made to my engine. I bought 2 bottles of oil and on monday I'm going to see a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The rear engine seal is a possibility. Look under the car where the transmission and the engine meet. If there is a leak in that area, that is sort of "common" and not a threatening situation as long as you monitor your oil levels. Rear engine seals are so common, that I have heard some people who know about the leak refer to it as: "Is not a matter of if you will get the leak, but when". Unfortunately, the only real solution to that leak is replacement of the seal itself, and for that the transmission needs to come out. You see where this is going...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Grega said:
I have noticed several oil leak stains on the parking place, tried to figure it out whether it's my car and damn ... it's form my Saab.

Is this usually expensive to fix?
For any automobile(includes Honda and Toyota) with a high mileage engine, the fluid levels must always be monitored on a weekly basis.

Grega, how long did it take for you to lose 2 quarts ??

This quantity is the reserve, more or less; unless you race or drive in Iraq, there will be no engine damage..

My '96 is probably loosing some as well - it is an automotive way of marking its territory..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
earthworm said:
For any automobile(includes Honda and Toyota) with a high mileage engine, the fluid levels must always be monitored on a weekly basis.

Grega, how long did it take for you to lose 2 quarts ??

This quantity is the reserve, more or less; unless you race or drive in Iraq, there will be no engine damage..

My '96 is probably loosing some as well - it is an automotive way of marking its territory..
I actually don't exactly know for how long I've been loosing oil; but if count all the stains; at least for 14 days.

The stains are too big to be acceptable; they're at least 1 square feet big every day ...

I'm taking the car to mechanic tomorrow ...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Wow, yes that's huge for a drip. Good luck at your mechanics, hopefully it will be an easy fix. Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just got the car back today, paid 100$ to have the engine oil sump welded ... then I came home, parked the car, left home in couple of hours ... and saw my Saab is still leaking oil.

Damn my mechanic. Had the car for three days in his shop and he does such a sloppy work. I doubt he welded anything in the first place; I bet he just bullshi*ed me.

I live in a small country in Europe, Slovenia with the population just under 2 million. Saabs are very rare here; we have just one official ond about 3 unofficial Saab mechanics. Only 6 c900 going on our roads for instance. All the Saab mechanics have a bad reputation ... I can read horror stories on local forums from other Saab owners.

I'll have to become a DIY & change nick to "Icomeformthelandofnosaabmechanicpleasehelpme"

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is little special about the Saab, or any automobile; a good mechanic can work on any car or truck or etc..

The oil pan is a cast material, maybe the Opel and Vauxhall are the same - maybe not. If it has been hit hard enough to crack and leak; brazing may be in order, but only an expert can make the determination and do the "welding"...
Often, at the dealer, the pan is replaced at a cost of $$$$..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Asia Skyly said:
The rear engine seal is a possibility. Look under the car where the transmission and the engine meet. If there is a leak in that area, that is sort of "common" and not a threatening situation as long as you monitor your oil levels. Rear engine seals are so common, that I have heard some people who know about the leak refer to it as: "Is not a matter of if you will get the leak, but when". Unfortunately, the only real solution to that leak is replacement of the seal itself, and for that the transmission needs to come out. You see where this is going...
Today I found out I had 2 problems why the oil was leaking:
- oil pan fracture (already fixed)
- what Asia Skyly described .... waiting to be fixed

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The rear engine seal can wait, it is not life threathening to the engine as LONG as you monitor your oil levels regularly! Saab on!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Asia Skyly said:
The rear engine seal is a possibility. Look under the car where the transmission and the engine meet. Unfortunately, the only real solution to that leak is replacement of the seal itself, and for that the transmission needs to come out.
My clutch cable just broke and with this repair I'll also have my rear engine seal replaced. I'd like to order the seal on Parts for Saabs but I'm not sure which one is right -> is this one OK http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=2415

if not, maybe a suggestion how to find it.
Thx.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hold your horses. You do not need to remove the transmission to fix the cable. Since the transmission does not come out, the rear engine seal will be inaccessible. In other words, the only time you want to replace the rear engine seal is when you are having your clutch replaced. Replacing the clutch is usually a very expensive ordeal, so you might want to postpone it until you can officially declare the clutch dead, or, have enough money to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Asia Skyly said:
Hold your horses. You do not need to remove the transmission to fix the cable. Since the transmission does not come out, the rear engine seal will be inaccessible. In other words, the only time you want to replace the rear engine seal is when you are having your clutch replaced. Replacing the clutch is usually a very expensive ordeal, so you might want to postpone it until you can officially declare the clutch dead, or, have enough money to pay for the repair.
No, no - my clutch cable broke (the clutch pedal is loosen and the clutch doesn't work) and I'll go to mechanic to replace it. Since I'll have my car there I'll also tell him to replace the seal. I know that by replacing the cable you don't need to remove the suspension. I'll have the oil leak fixed becausehe stains are quite big - 3-4 inches in diameter every morning.

Now that I read your post, I'm actually thinking whether I should postpone the seal replacement and do it together with the clutch when the time comes ...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You still do not get it. The cable is an accessory to the transmission and clutch. Replacing the clutch cable takes 30 minutes.

To replace the rear engine seal, you need to remove the subframe of the car. Hold the engine in place with an engine hoist, disconnect the transmission mount and rear engine mount, remove the the transmission, remove the flywheel, then access the rear engine seal. This job takes about 8 hours. :)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Ha ! The cable may be a 0.5 hour job, but 'll bet Grega is charged more than that..

A shame too. I feel an automaker should do as much as possible to protect their good name, in every aspect.
Apparently, many automakers disagree with me..

This gentleman may have a bona-fide leak, with no oil showing on the dipstick, but then, as I have stated before, there is NO real leak until it registers on the stick.

The expensive $20 plus seal should not be changed until the clutch is renewed..
Oil is not that expensive...
During the good old days, a man could pull a VW engine, change the clutch and seal, all within 90 minutes - EZ !
I have seen a man do this with a Saab 93/96 in the same time !!
The seal was about $2 to 3$ back then...

Automobiles mark their territory via drips of oil..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Grega said:
Only 6 c900 going on our roads for instance.
And one mean 9-5 3.0TiD that flew next to me yesterday on the highway near Zagred with LJ plates!:D One sec. he was in my mirror, in a moment he was ona horizon... and I was doing regular 160kmh!!
Tried to think of the nearest solution for you and one recommendation came to my mind - a lady I met here (nice 9-3 vert) told me that dealer in Graz is actually very good with their service, but be warned it can end up very expensive... if you don't mind a bit longer ride. But hey, I live with the same curse on my back - Saab in eastern Europe. If it comes to a serious repair to be done, few houndred km's can be only solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts