SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:phey i want to attempt to fix the head gasket or whatever i find out is causing oil to leak from my 1994 9000's engine. so anyone have really good instructions i can look at? i dont want to screw up the timing of my engine so advice on that would be nice too. but anyways there is bluish smoke comin from the exhaust and i really need to fix it without spending money so that if and when i sell the car i dont lose anymore money. help is very much appreciated.:cheesy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
They all leak.:lol:

Likely just a retorque is needed, but the blue smoke likely means that the turbo is dying or dead. Maybe even the PCV system.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Soundgarden1009 said:
what does retorque mean?

Its the lazy/half arsed way of stopping a head gasket leak : p
The better way is to take the head off, clean it up, use new bolts and gasket, then do the timing chain, which should probably also be replaced if it hasnt yet... If I was doing this myself.. I could see parts costing over £600 - maybe less expensive to get another used engine to replace it. That is why people do a retorque ..

To do it, you undo one head bolt at a time, then re-tighten it to the correct torque.
However, probably a good idea to replace the bolts since you really dont want one to snap and they will if it has been retorqued before. This wont alter the timing.. one bolt at a time also means the head and gasket wont move.

Check the turbo first, I think thats much more likely. Then if it is the engine, you should first get it compression tested to see if the cylinders/valves are good if not its a waste of money.

but if the oil is not too bad.. you should be able to sell it as it is.. fixing it might cost more than the car is worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts