SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 20003 9-3 Vector, auto and a couple of days ago I was walking through the garage and noticed a few oil spots on the floor. So needless to say I looked under the car saw wet spots. I really couldn't under the car because of the front and side spoilers.

So today I got off work early and put my car on some ramps and this is what I see.

Sorry the pictures are s close but there wasn't much room between the car and my phone. These pictures were taken closer to the driver's side and I am not sure what is blowback and what is drip or if it is all drip. As you can tell from most of the pictures it looks about to drip. I checked the oil and it is still at max. Does anybody recognize where these pictures are and where it might be leaking? Is that the transmission in the first picture? I wiped everything off and checked it a few hours later but there was nothing there. I have to go out tonight, so I might I have to repeat wiping it off tomorrow. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd say mine probaly looks oilish too. In November I've noticed a spot size of a dollar bill after my cousin parked in my space, so I blamed him and suggested he sends his BMW 530 to the junk yard ... :cry: poor me it was from my 93

I kept an eye on it so far the leak did not repeat yet. Holding my breath.....

Would like to know though what could have caused that?

·
Banned
631 Posts
93t said:
CHeck out your power steering pump, pretty common that they leak.
If thats power steering fluid, that is some dark ****. Appears to be engine oil by the colour .

but if it is steering fluid, you need to flush that out..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks mostly Steering fluid to me, maybe a bit of residual enging oil from a minor leak or spill is getting disolved for added colour - but for mine you'll soon hear the sterring pump having a whine about things. Keep an eye resiviour level.

Start the car and in idle turn the wheel to full lock. Have a listen to the pitch of the pump and check if you have a spurter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd look at the top end gaskets/seals. There is evidence of oil on the flex air venting. I'd also take a look at the quality of your antifreeze for contamination with oil.

Would the GM 100K mile warranty cover this on an 07?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is on the U.S. drivers side, so the left if you are looking at the car from the back. I have a feeling mine only leaks when I drive because it sat for a few hours and no leak but when I drive it I started to see som wetness. How hard was this to replace and how much did you have to pay?

·
Registered
448 Posts
ok,

i had this problem before

Check the following...

Your power steering pump cap and see if it appears.. the oil is overflowing from the cap.

If it does, you need a PS pump.

Check your PS oil, if it appears like Dark brown, or oil in general, you need a new PS pump.

Ps fluid should be clear to green.

The reason is the powersteering pump is driven by the Cars camshaft, not belt driven.
If the PS seal wears out, it causes ENGINE OIL to seep into the PS Overflow container and overflowing the fluid to the ground.

By the appearence of the oil leaking on the tranny, it appears exaclty the same as mine before.

The culprit, a worn PS seal which equals to a new Power Steering pump.

·
Banned
631 Posts
new92xowner said:
I'd look at the top end gaskets/seals. There is evidence of oil on the flex air venting. I'd also take a look at the quality of your antifreeze for contamination with oil.

Would the GM 100K mile warranty cover this on an 07?
leaks should be covered as long as maintenance was done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SidewaysD said:
ok,

i had this problem before

Check the following...

Your power steering pump cap and see if it appears.. the oil is overflowing from the cap.

If it does, you need a PS pump.

Check your PS oil, if it appears like Dark brown, or oil in general, you need a new PS pump.

Ps fluid should be clear to green.

The reason is the powersteering pump is driven by the Cars camshaft, not belt driven.
If the PS seal wears out, it causes ENGINE OIL to seep into the PS Overflow container and overflowing the fluid to the ground.

By the appearence of the oil leaking on the tranny, it appears exaclty the same as mine before.

The culprit, a worn PS seal which equals to a new Power Steering pump.
I checked the cap of the power steering reservoir and it was bone dry. Actually the whole upper engine appears to be dry. I also believe it only leaks when the car is running because this morning I checked it and there was no leak after sitting for 2 days. Then I drove to work and looked under the car again before walking into the building and I saw wettness again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts