SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

My Saab 93 sc 2004 1.8t recently hirsched with 120k on clock, has been sat in my drive for the last week while I mess about with the sound system.

Its been raining really heavy so I parked it in the garage.

When I reversed it out I noticed about 20mls of oil on the floor.

The dipstick was at minimum and looked where it was parked before abd noticed a few patched of oil .

It looks as though it's coming from passenger side (uk) not too far from wheel maybe 30 cm . I took some pics and they are attached

Im not sure whether to just go to dealer, or have a gamble with some info from you guys and take it to dealer.

Just sunk £1400 on repairs otherwise this is around £4000 in repairs over last 3 years.

Yeah i actually want to cry.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Welcome to the site and dont worry about crying its called Saabing.
If you own a Saab you are bound to Saab from time to time.
The trans is over on the left and not much with oil on that side, can you tell or trace where it actually is coming from? and is it to the front or back?
And lastly going to a dealer will cost a lot. If you can find an independent garage (indy) you will be far better off.
Typical areas for leaks can be oil pressure sending unit, valve cover gaskets, PVC system.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Passenger side leak could be the rear main crankshaft seal. Its hard to tell from the pic. I'm not familiar with the 1.8t, but I'm assuming its also a 4 cyl ecotec and not a diesel.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Passenger side leak could be the rear main crankshaft seal. Its hard to tell from the pic. I'm not familiar with the 1.8t, but I'm assuming its also a 4 cyl ecotec and not a diesel.
Crank is on drivers side (right) to my knowledge on the 1.8. RHD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the responses and thanks for the welcome.

It's 1.8t petrol 4 cylinder vector engine not sure what variant b207r?

I've had the car for over 4 years I want to keep it forever ....

I know an Indy about 30 miles away - I decided last night that I've had enough of Saab main dealer and prices it's just not sustainable.

Unfortunately I'm not mechanically sound enough to trace the leak. Having said that I will jack it up tomorrow of I can't see it from the top or take some better pics.

Out of interest is there such thing as an engine service - I want an Indy to just go through the engine and make it sound so I can enjoy some long distance holidays ....

I wish I had some kind of Saab tech training guide on my car perhaps beyond the wis which looks too thin on the ground for a novice...

Again thanks for replies will post results from indy.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Also the leak presents itself bear the passenger wheel to the rear of the engine bay
Closest thing to the left side that I can think of is the oil sending unit or above that the head or valve cover.

·
Registered
435 Posts
On RHD, the crank seal (Front Seal) would be on the drivers side under the Harmonic Balancer. The rear crank seal (Rear Main Seal) would be on the passenger side between the block and transmission. I'm just assuming that the engine orientation in RHD is the same as LHD. If I'm wrong, then my quess would be the front crank seal. But from the pic, the intake tubing is on the passenger side of a RHD.

Sorry, I'm almost confusing myself. Do you have a wide angle picture of the area?

Edit: It looks like the a/c compressor in the upper right corner of the pic. If so, its probably the front crank seal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think maybe im confusing things....

I think pretty much found the leak... Ill attach pic but just in case ill describe it;

There is a thick black pipe underneath and not far from the pink cooland thing, that pipe is oily and there is a small pool of oil collecting under that.

The oil level is on low,

Ive put a liter of oil in it, is that enough and is it safe to drive it to the independent garage 30 miles away?

Thanks again for replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
You know that pool of oil is underneath the thermostat housing. As weird as it may sound when I had an issue with oil filter cap oil would pool by the filter and where you have you pool of oil. That might be worth a try checking out. Make sure the cap is tight and the o-ring isn't shot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies,

It turned out to be the seal on the vacuum pump,

If your new to saab this forum is excellent, you can get a good idea of what is wrong with your car using the search. The advice in the thread finally pushed me to go the extra distance and find a saab independent garage. I used Leelac saab in uk in between st ives and milton keynes. With all the jobs the guy (david) did he must have saved me a decent thousand if i went to the dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts