SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Gang,
I had just changed the thermostat and temp sensor (4 cylinder), and when I went to clean the floor saw the spots of oil. Certainly had the smell of burning oil when I stopped at a light. I checked, it's at the tranny end; it's pretty wet there and dripping on downpipe. Could I have disconnected anything involved with crankcase ventilation or screwed up in any other way? Could it be HG? I suspect rear main. I know we're way way beyond a comma with this repair. Any thoughts or commiseration?
Thank you.
Bill

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
if it's dripping on the downpipe it's most likely the oil sensor that is on the back of the engine behind the starter. A pain in the butt to get out but that's the usual suspects at that end.

you have to take the starter out and need either a special wrench or a deep wall 1/2 drive socket so that you can push the wire connector into the socket to get it back on (obviously you can cut the wire off on the old one)

and plugging those latching connectors in with only one hand is a real treat!

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
oh yea, you got that right. a rear main seal oil leak is pretty much the worst you can have. Although I'd say that a timing cover leak at the head gasket is probably worse since I think you have to take the engine out to do it and then the head should come off (so there are more expensive parts involved)

I've done it with the head on as well and all you need to do that job is a tube of anaerobic sealant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts