SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03' Linear has an oil Leak. (yeah, big surprise).
I run the recomended Synthetic oil. I have been thinking of changing from Synthetic to Petroleum based.
Does anyone have any input on this issue. Pro's, con's? Things to be cautious of. I just don't know much about this topic and welcome any input, or other suggestions...besides getting the leak fixed. It's OOW and I'm not made of $.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea. Although I don't know for sure. I would be hesitant to put dino oil in a car that was designed to be filled with full synthetic. I would be worried that engine temperatures (especially at the turbo) might cause the oil to prematurely turn into sludge. I would think that if you go through with it, that you should change it very frequently at the least. Perhaps try a partial synthetic first before going to full?

From my understanding, the only way that the dino oil would make a difference is if there was a damaged seal. Even then, it might not always make the seal 'swell' up enough to stop the leak. Have you been able to pin-point the location of the leak?

Just remember, getting a damaged seal replaced will probably be far less expensive then having to replace a turbo that siezed because of lack of oil or proper cooling.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Stick with the synthetic.

Have you determined the source of the leak?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Definitely stay with synthetic lest you invite the sludge monster into your engine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My '03 is leaking oil from the rear main seal. The dealer is going to try to get Saab to pay for the repair since it only has 56k miles on it. If they don't pay for it, it is going to cost $850-900 to fix it.

The service writer told me that the Saab repair estimate software says it should only take nine hours to complete the work but the mechanic has done it before and says it takes between 14-16 hours.

I will stick with the synthetic oil and hope it doesn't happen again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts