SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here so plz excuze if this is in the wrong section. I have an 01 9-3 se Conv. 2.0t. I love it. It has taken me a while to find a legit Saab forum ans I hope I am in the right place. My background is VW's. My issue is an oil leak on the side of the engine. Is this a common prob? Is it just a gasket? Any help would be great. Thx.

Brian-

Attachments

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. The plug that's leaking is where the distrubutor goes on the non-turbo cars. The best way to fix it is to get a valve cover gasket kit, remove the valve cover, clean everything and put back together with the gasket kit. You will probably need to use a gasket adhesive to keep the inner and outer gaskets from falling off the cover while reinstalling it. IIRC, the torque requirement is 11 ft/lb.

What part of Maryland are you from? I grew up in between Annapolis and Baltimore on the west side of the Bay... Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, welcome to the forum. The plug that's leaking is where the distrubutor goes on the non-turbo cars. The best way to fix it is to get a valve cover gasket kit, remove the valve cover, clean everything and put back together with the gasket kit. You will probably need to use a gasket adhesive to keep the inner and outer gaskets from falling off the cover while reinstalling it. IIRC, the torque requirement is 11 ft/lb.

What part of Maryland are you from? I grew up in between Annapolis and Baltimore on the west side of the Bay... Ron

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Rockville btw. Is there a site where i could find the gasket kit where there not ripping me off? and maybe a DIY. Sorry for being a newb but what is IIRC?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

eEuroparts.com has some pretty good prices, have free shipping on orders over $50 and ship quickly.

So, if you need anything else, you might add some things to get the free shipping. And, a little oil leak there can wait for the gasket set... Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To me, it looks as though just the plug is leaking so could I start out with getting a Distributor Hole Plug? Also, how can I tell if I have a HOT or not?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been browsing the sticky section a lot today, (very nice btw) so much info. A comment I found in regards to my ??? about the HOT was:

"The 9-3 'S' had the non-HOT 2.0L turbo and the manual transmission SE's the HOT."

I could not decipher the tense in which it was meant. I have a manual trans, so does that mean I "had" or "have" a HOT?

Thx

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So while my car was in the shop for some maintenance, I had them put in the new distributor hole plug. They did but there still seems to be oil leaking from the new plug. It looks the same as the original pics i posted. What can the deal be? When i apply pressure to the outside of the plug it moves slightly. And by pressure i mean pushing the plug inward with my finger. :cry:

·
Registered
139 Posts
So while my car was in the shop for some maintenance, I had them put in the new distributor hole plug. They did but there still seems to be oil leaking from the new plug. It looks the same as the original pics i posted. What can the deal be? When i apply pressure to the outside of the plug it moves slightly. And by pressure i mean pushing the plug inward with my finger. :cry:
if the shop did the job right it should NOT be leaking. as for the finger wiggle, try using a gentle "come here" motion and see if it tenses up. i know that trick works for some other stuff ive poked around at. :nono;

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was done at the dealership so i assumed it was done right. I am not sure what you mean by the "come here" motion. how does that plug come out and how does it go in. I can try to re do it. Also does it require some sort of silicon or something?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It was done at the dealership so i assumed it was done right. I am not sure what you mean by the "come here" motion. how does that plug come out and how does it go in. I can try to re do it. Also does it require some sort of silicon or something?
Never assume that something was done right if it obviously wasn't :)

some info here...http://www.saabwiki.info/index.php?title=NG_900/9-3_Valve_Cover_Plug

You could actually use some hi temp sealer to seal it even without replacing the o-ring...and it should not be moving...mine was very tight even after taking off the clamp thingy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OH MAN. Looking at those pics you posted it looks as though they put mine in backwards! The plug on mine is now flush with the edge of the distributor housing. it is no longer concave.

·
Registered
147 Posts
But how...??? :eek: the plug fits in a certain way under the clamp...if they put it backwards how does it stay in place? :eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its leaking more oil NOW than it was before. Does the valve cover have to come off in order to replace this plug? I want to take it out and put it in the correct way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
dude, i would be back at the dealership raising some major hell if they put my plug in backwards. take the valve cover off and remove the two blots that hold the plug in place. easy enough, but if i had just pid to get it done like you had id be freaking out. of course im kind of a psycho anyways, so i dont need an excuse to come over a counter and choke someone, and ive paid the fines to prove it. good luck, glad im not you right now!

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Here's a picture of the valve cover gasket. I would ask them how they changed the plug without removing the valve cover. If they just pulled the plug out and tapped it back in without removing and replacing the valve cover and gasket, I don't see how it will ever seal. Look at the ridge in the gasket; it seals the top of the plug. When they tapped in back in without removing the valve cover, they probably tore the top (1/2 round part of the gasket). I woul talk to the service department manager or above... Ron

1 - 20 of 28 Posts