SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right forum nor this question. Thanks in advance for any and all info i really appreciate it.
I have a 2000 vert and the top was working fine and today after work top would not lift to open. I got home tried the roof again and same thing no roof movement. Error message soft top failure again.
I moved the car and saw a large spot of oil. Ok so i checked the hydraulic oil and it is almost empty.

Now the top always worked fine until today, i have never seen any oil before.
  • does this sound like a line leak?
  • how can i determine what kind of leak this is?
  • so did this all pump out just during these two tries?
  • the oil is under the back of the drivers door.
  • are there lines under there for the roof?
  • is lucas stop leak a product that may help?
  • what is the mixture with the fluid?
  • do i have to use the saab fluid for $60 or is there another fluid that will work?
thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
147 Posts
check the pump assembly ..its located behind back seat in the cross member..it is accessible after lifting carpet from the opening in the trunk wall...then you have to remove like 6 screws to open the metal tray that the pump is attached to..it has a "hinge" towards the trunk so you just lift the edge on the back seat side..be carefull cuz the lines might get squished or pinched between metal surfaces..probably you should also check the rams..try to put the top up and then lifting the 5 bow will give you a good view of rams which are right under the small flaps that are visible when the top is down and the lid is closed...i wouldn't recommend any stop leak cuz this looks like a massive leak and might be just a line that got disconnected..check the lines connections on the pump assembly and by the rams..if the puddle was by the side of the car that might indicate that something leaked by the rams..since there are drain hoses from that area running to the bottom of the body just in front of rear wheels...you could also disassemble the drivers side back seat side panel and take a look..there is a plastic cup that one of the rams is sitting in ..so some oil there might give you an idea about the location of the leak...i would try to fix the leak and then put original gm hydraulic fluid..last time i got it at orlando saab dealer for $40..but now they closed down soooo..probably any gm dealer should have it..the good thing iss..now you have the bottom of the rear window body panel rust protected from the inside :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the oil level it is really low:roll: but no oil in the area of the pump. that area is dry.
Do I have to use the saab oil for this or will any hydraulic oil work?
I have the top up now so how do I get a good look at the pistions and lines?
Thank you

·
Registered
147 Posts
GM hydraulic oil is what you should use..call a GM service shop and ask them...i gave you some instructions in previous post..if the oil was under the drivers side slightly to the rear then take the back seat side panel off (where the back speaker is) and check one of the rams over there..it is sitting in a plastic cup looking thing with a drainage line so if the oil went that way then this ram can be a suspect

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, first things first I need to locate the leak then decide how to repair.
The best way to find the leak is to take the rear inside panel off?
Is the 5th bow located where the top lacthes to the windshield?
If I unlatch this can I open the back tonnuae and see the pistons there?
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks, first things first I need to locate the leak then decide how to repair.

Yes

The best way to find the leak is to take the rear inside panel off?

You will be able to look at one of the rams where it sits inside a drainage cup..if everything is oily in that area then follow the oil path to the leaky parts..of course if the oil was under drivers side then you want to take the drivers side side panel off..

Is the 5th bow located where the top lacthes to the windshield?

5th bow is the last bow..one behind the rear window that seals to tonneau cover

If I unlatch this can I open the back tonnuae and see the pistons there?
Thanks for the advice

When the top is up..and you start to put it down..first the 5th bow rises allowing the tonneau cover to go up right..when the tonneau cover goes in to upright position and the 5th bow is still folded then you can see the rams in the forward section of the tops compartment.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The 5th bow is the bow that latches into the tonneau cover (the thing that covers the top when it is down). The tonneau cover should actuate up using a hand to assist it b/c of the low hydraulic oil. Definitely have a friend help you with aiding the top by hand, be careful b/c you might mess up the sequencing (which can take a few minutes to get back on track, or a trip to a shop with a tech2).

If you can't unlatch it, removing the interior paneling (trunk) is really the only way to go.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help. My next question is do I have to use the Saab oil or is there another brand I can use?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hydraulic hose leaking for convertible roof

I need to find the leak in a hose on the drivers side for the convertible roof on a 2000 vert. Does anyone know the step by step directions with pictures for finding the leak. Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For the third time...you want to use GM hydraulic oil/fluid which is not Saab branded but it is the right hydraulic oil for GM made cars...check you local GM service shop..1L bottle should be around $40..

As far as finding the leak you probably will be better off finding a good saab technician..or try any GM service shop

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found The Leak

Sorry I just want to be sure I saw one thread here that mentoned using any hydraulic oil would be OK Thanks for the help. The hose disconnected from the bushing on the ram. Is there a way to fix this without getting a new line?
What are my options? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Convertible top Hydraulic Hose Help Needed in Tampa!

I have noticed many roof issues with hydraulic hoses begin with lots of info on the problem and not many solutions other than the dealer. Am I not finding the right threads and is this information available on this site? Here is what I have going on with my car. the hydraulic hose for the roof came off the fitting to the ram on the drivers side. I am sure someone must have repaied these or knows someone who can. I live in Tampa and I am sure I am not the only one who has had this problem and I am also sure that not everyone is willing to spend thousands of dollars at the dealer. Not mentioning any names here but I know that there is a guy here in Tampa who does this:D but the Indy shop in Tampa here will not give me his name.:roll: They want to do all the hoses for $2000:cry: they told me the best they can do for me is to bring the hose in with both ends and the guy they use will take the old ends and use a better hose for $200. They will not tell me what company this is. oes anyone know of this company here in Tapa or the surrounding area? I wish they would give me the name so I could deal directly with them, I know he is not charging hundreds to rebuild a 1/8 6 foot nylon hose with used fittings. I think the Indy shop here in Tama is rippng people off.
I know people can be very ingenius when the need arises. Is there any way to reconnect the hose to the fitting? I have taken the fitting off and it looks like it should be able to be reattached has anyone ever done this? I would really like to know and how you were able to do this.
I stuck the hose back into the fitting when I took it off and it was pretty tight. If I put some perment bonding adhesive on the hose would that hurt anything? It would not get into the lines. Is it possible to put a new end on the hose and splice it in? Thanks for any help.:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
good question...

I have a 2002 'vert with no hydraulic troubles, yet. The Saab rams and hoses are big money, I think if you took the hoses to a shop specializing in high pressure hydraulics, like earthmoving equipment or maybe industrial actuators they could hook you up. As far as a patch job with JB weld or something similar I'm not optimistic, there is lots of pressure used, in these type of systems,

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hydraulic Hose Fabrication In Tampa Florida?

So does anyone know of someone in Tampa Florida that rebuilds the hoses for Saab convertibles? I have looked through the yellow pages and called many of them. The problem is that they do not have the fittings for the 1/8 size Hose. Does anyone know what kind of thread is used on the Saab fittings? Thanks for the help. Joel

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for the help. My next question is do I have to use the Saab oil or is there another brand I can use?
Do not use any other hydraulic oil other than G.M or Saab, if you use any other it will probably not be up to G.M / Saab specs and it will probably cause the oil seals within the hydraulic converible roof system to fail ( probably cause the rubber seals to perish ) :nono;

·
Registered
411 Posts
OK, I just went through this on the passengers side myself. The fitting to the top up ram blew out. Best to work on this with the tonneau up and the 5th bow (window) raised, but the top still up..

So here's my temporary fix. Remove the fitting from the ram. You'll see the hose was meant to just crimp on the fitting.

Taking a dremel tool, remove the outer shield, the part that was crimped, leaving the part that fits into the hose alone. You should end up with just the fitting and the hose insert.

Look at the end of the hose. This end is expanded and will not grab the small barbs on the fittings insert. Cut 1/2 inch or so off the hose end. Push a #14 wire down the hose about 3 inches or so and remove the wire. This is to push out any oil in it. Get some superglue and clean the hose and fitting well. Put the glue on the barbs of the fitting and insert into the hose as far as you can. Let it dry. This may hold for a week or two but will give up eventually.

Order both outside(?) hoses from one of the boards sponsors as the other side will break soon as well. Also order some oil if you need some.

Hoses were about $150-170 each and took about 2 hours of fussing to change one. I chose to change just the passenger side for now as the PO already did the drivers side. Now I have a spare.

There are no clamps that will fit this 1/8" hose and I did fashion one using some aluminum c channel found at Lowes. They have some small c channel that comes in two different sizes and one fits inside the other. I cut a 7/32" channel in each one and used two bolts to interlock them as a clamp. The upper half hit on the fitting and the lower half was just right. I'm working off memory here so the sizing may be incorrect. Please check the sizing as a 2000 may be different, mine is a '99.

But I didn't trust it and I wanted the wife to drive the car as well. If it failed on her....

Best to renew with the factory hose and not worry about it for 8-10 years.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I just went through this on the passengers side myself. The fitting to the top up ram blew out. Best to work on this with the tonneau up and the 5th bow (window) raised, but the top still up..
Yes, I have found this also to work best for me.

So here's my temporary fix. Remove the fitting from the ram. You'll see the hose was meant to just crimp on the fitting.
Is this an unual fitting, one that nobody but Saab makes?

Taking a dremel tool, remove the outer shield, the part that was crimped, leaving the part that fits into the hose alone. You should end up with just the fitting and the hose insert.
Are hose clamps this small?
Would that hold it on?
Thanks for your advice I really appreciate this:)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is this an unual fitting, one that nobody but Saab makes?

I don't really know. I just assumed the thread was metric or something odd.

Are hose clamps this small? I couldn't find any that worked. I thought the same thing. I looked on Google and Ebay.

Would that hold it on? If you could find one, maybe. Just a crimp holds the line when the factory puts there together.

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate this:)[/QUOTE] You're welcome.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts