SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I recently looked at a 1991 900 S. It was in remarkably good shape, with one caveat: there was a significant oil leak from the lower part of the engine.

I had a local mechanic put it up on a lift for me and underneath was what almost appeared to be oil saturation on the undercarriage starting from the engine and migrating back towards the middle of the chassis.

The mechanic, not familiar with Saabs, said it could be anything from a cheap fix to upwards of $1,000.

I've been looking for a C900 for awhile now, and really thought this was it, so my question is, based on your best estimate, would this be a serious expense to fix a leak of this nature?

Thanks.

PS -- First time posting! Love the site!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
CLean off the area and let it leak for a while to see how bad it REALLY is.

Every single 900 leaks. Just part of thier design and helps to protect the engine bay of rusting. I resealed a 900 engine once and STILL LEAKED!

If you are dropping a half litre every 1000miles, well I might be worried. If we are talking about a few drops ont he driveway...just drive it.

PLus I fyou fix one leak, it will leak somwehre else.

Check your crankcase ventalation to make sure it is not plugged/missing, adn that the valve is on the right way round.

·
4,637 Posts
Yep. It could be either. Without cleaning the engine and monitoring, you'll not find the leak. That said, they often leak from the crank pulley oil seal which is a pretty easy job. Flywheel oil seal would be harder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts