SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
OG93
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall

I’ve got oil leaking in a few spots, but would like to address the one on the intake side of my motor.

What’s been done:

Head gasket and clutch (2010 when I bought the car). Started slow leak sometime after at both. Both shops claim others fault and would not warranty. (This is when I mostly stopped letting shops touch my car/stopped being a lazy mechanic and did my own work).
Car sat in a driveway from 2012-2017
New: Head bolts and retorque, 2 valve cover gaskets and rtv on outside of plug, pcv update kit, pcv check valve(just valve not hoses), chain tensioner gaskets oring, and oil pan was removed and cleaned (by a local saab shop).

Before I bring the car back the the shop to possibly redue the oil pan I would like to rule out everything above. I believe I had multiple places leaking, and have solved some. I just did belt tensioner and ac delete at which time I cleaned as much as I could get to without removing the intake. I took the car for a test drive yesterday and noticed the oil leak smoking from under the intake as well or maybe the same leak running under the chain tensioner. This is the only place I have not solved that doesn’t have to due with the pan or main seal.

I did some digging here this morning and will check my oil pressure sending unit for a leak, however I believe the leak is coming from above.

My question before I remove my intake to clean and diagnose is is there anything I’m missing? Something with the throttle that could be leaking on the balance shaft. I’m not apposed to taking it all off, though I may need a run down on how to pull the fuel rail without too much leakage.

If the retorque did not stop the leak does that mean I either have a crack or need another head gasket? Is there anything else that could be leaking? It’s only been about 30,000 miles on this gasket, but like I said it may have been faulty from the get go and it sat for a while.

Any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
By far the most common leak on the back of the engine is the oil pressure sender. Next up is the chain tensioner, but you said you already replaced the gaskets on that. The intake manifold doesn't have any oil that runs through it, so I can't imagine it's that. Have you noticed oil dripping onto your exhaust? That's a telltale sign of the oil pressure sender.

·
Registered
OG93
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I just wasn’t sure if it had to do with the pan or the main seal yet. The sender is under the balance shaft bumpout from what I see. The top of that bump is covered as well. I’ll address the sender and see if that stops the drip onto the exhaust.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I once had an oil pressure sender in another type of car leak in a fine spray which got everywhere. Airflow around the back of the engine could drift it? Just theorising here.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
By far the most common leak on the back of the engine is the oil pressure sender. Next up is the chain tensioner, but you said you already replaced the gaskets on that. The intake manifold doesn't have any oil that runs through it, so I can't imagine it's that. Have you noticed oil dripping onto your exhaust? That's a telltale sign of the oil pressure sender.
Where is the oil pressure sender at?

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
It depends on the model. On the 9-3, it's behind the starter. One the NG900, it's below the starter. It's on the back is the engine on both cars, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts