SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I am new to this form but it is my second Saab 9-5. I purchased a 1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t a few months back. It has one or two issues such as the usual SID display and the passenger seat heater and a couple of seat motors not working but it has also recently developed an oil leak. I have searched the forum but cannot find anything about this particular leak.

My mechanic (not a Saab mechanic) cleaned it up and looked at it and said that the leak appears to be coming from a plate about the gear box. It is definately not coming from the plug where the distributor used to be. No sign of any oil up there. According to the service record the car had a new engine block at 67,000 miles and is now sitting at 84,000. Although this was done in March 2008, so the car has not done many miles since then.

I am not sure if the new block is a "shorter" one that I have read about on the forum as I am unsure what the difference is to the original engine. I do not know if it has had any adjustments to cope with the sludge problem or if it needs it because it is a new block. Unsure if the head bolts need retorqued as I have read about or if the rocker gasket needs replaced. It does not seem to be the oil pressure sensor as the leak is at the side and not the back, although the oil runs down the gearbox and falls onto the exhaust, hence a burning oil smell when stationery or reversing.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Please forgive me if I have missed outany crucial information. I should mention that it has an auto box.

Thanks
Dundee18

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If your're sure it's not the oil sensor or the seal plug; pull off the DIC and check the inner chamber for a VC gasket leak. The head has a drain port on the side if you have a VC leak it would drain thru that port.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts