SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it good that my oil is still golden (wiped dipstick on clean white tissue)after 2800 miles since July 31st??:eek:

I was planning on changing it in the next week or two, but may let it run up to 5k.

I use halfords fully syn 5w40 and genuine filter.
Im sure its a good sign, but I just thought I would check in case it means the oil aint circulating or something like that!!:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Mine turns pretty black within a week or so :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
That does sounds a little strange, but I would check for it to be black when you get a little over 3k since you are using syn oil.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My old 9-5 always turned the oil black really quickly . I always put it down to quality oil doing its job (ie picking up all the crap).

Did you notice this with another brand?

P

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is slighter darker than when it was changed but on the tissue it is golden. i think it is because i change it every 4k or so, and always drain it when the car is very very hot. i also have only ever used 99 octane (shell or tesco) so does that make any difference for combustion deposits.

always use same oil. it normally looks bit black once ive done 4-5k. i suppose putting it on a white tissue dont help either:cheesy: :cheesy:

and it runs ok - im touching wood right now!:eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its great here innit, we even get paranoid our oil is too clean :cheesy:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Its great here innit, we even get paranoid our oil is too clean :cheesy:
You summed it up, I cant belive that im asking the question in the first place, but I cant help myself, im just plain obsessive!!;oops:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm sure that it is better to be little paranoid as us about oil changes.
My Motul Competition double ester doesn't look golden after 5-6000km,but local guys who change it claim that they keep it and drive their own cars for few thousands kilometres more:cheesy:.
They even doesn't want to take money for the change.
Unfortunately the pleasant flower aroma of hot Motul lasts for couple weeks only.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Quick question whilst we're on about oils. What grade "should" I be using. Went to get some the other day and every book or advice sheet I looked at said something different. Obviously we'll go for the fully synthetic but then I had varying grades suggested as "recommended" from 0 W30, 0W40, 5W40 and 5W30. Then its, do I go for Mobil 1, Halfords "Own" or Duckhams etc etc !!!!! Help!! Its driving me insane!!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
you're in UK? It doesn't get hot there. It doesn't get cold there. You can use any grade you want, as long as it's ACEA A3/B3 rated full synthetic replaced every 5-10k km.

YMMV based on your use - heavy track/towing/highspeed use I wouldn't go lower than a 40.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
It can depend on the oil. Some oils are known to stay "fresher" looking longer, even though they may be chemically just fine. Over here in the US, a lot of people say the same thing about Pennzoil Platinum Synth, which is sold over there as one of the Shell Helix varieties.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive seen 5w50 fully synthetic halfords brand in the store - it says it is 'for track days and enthusiastic driving' - so I may use this if I ever manage to afford a chip or bsr upgrade (im assuming going up from a 40 to a 50 weight is useful if the engine runs hotter??)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes,for thermo abused engines this kind of oil are better.I'm running Motul fully synthetic 300V Competition series oil 15/50 in the winter and even more temperature stable Le Mans 20/60 in the summer.
No sludge,old pistons shined like new and all bearings still standard size when we open the engine for conversion and forged pistons.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
MIKE AERO HOT said:
it is slighter darker than when it was changed but on the tissue it is golden. i think it is because i change it every 4k or so, and always drain it when the car is very very hot. i also have only ever used 99 octane (shell or tesco) so does that make any difference for combustion deposits.

always use same oil. it normally looks bit black once ive done 4-5k. i suppose putting it on a white tissue dont help either:cheesy: :cheesy:

and it runs ok - im touching wood right now!:eek:
I think you need to stick your foot in it more often. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts