SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a forum newbie.

I discovered oil in my cooling system, My first thought was a head gasket, so i pulled off the heads (1995 900 se v6) but when i pulled off the heads the gaskets looked perfectly fine, I checked out as much as i could but there is tons of oil in the cooling system.

My question:
Is there another likely location the oil is getting into the cooling system?

Like an idiot i didn't do a compression test before i pulled the heads.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Honestly no, the head-to-block transition is the only place on a non-turbo car that the two could mix. Did you notice if any of your bolts were looser than others? Since you already went this far, I assume you're going to throw another gasket on it and have the heads machined so my guess would be that this will fix the problem.

As an aside, did you ever add anything to your coolant like "Red Line Water Wetter" or similar products? These look like oil droplets in the coolant as well.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Did you just buy the car, or have you had it for a while? Has it ever overheated, or was it missing before you pulled the heads? I'm just trying to get some background information. If you get the heads resurfaced, make sure to get them checked for cracks too... Ron

·
Registered
21,583 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
V6
Remember V6.
Forget I4, for now.:cheesy:
These beasts use an engine oil cooler immersed in coolant.
Our Ragtopcavalier is very familiar with this design. The newer V6s use a stainless steel unit, I think.
Right you are Earthworm. If I remember correctly this issue has crept up a few times on these as well.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108022

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31646002&mode=linearplus

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2fbpz-1997-2-5-v6-saab-conv-oil-in-water-help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well after reading the information in this post, http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index...ode=linearplus

I think I will just get a new heat exchanger unit and replace it while i have the engine in pieces, I do have new head gaskets that I was going to put on already.

Is there a good place to purchase the heat exchanger, and also new head bolts. I was not aware that it was so critical to replace them.

Thank you for the info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I read those other posting and found them very useful, I took off the heat exchanger/oil cooler and let it drain out a bit,

then I actually plugged one end and blew as hard as I could in the other end. It didn't seem like there was a problem with it. Also anouther interesting fact that may or may not mean anything, there is absolutely no water/coolant in the oil. ONLY OIL in the coolant system.

I do have the new head gaskets. but I did not get new head bolts. is the general consensus that it is imperative to use new bolts as well?

does anyone have any good places to purchase saab parts in the event i still need the heat exchange?

thank yo very much for the help so far

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ron,

In response to your first post I did just Purchase the car so I don't know the history on it, The kid I bought it from didn't really know much about cars, But he had a mechanic take a look at it and he diagnosed it head gasket, from looking at the car my guess is the upper radiator hose blew out and it overheated. when i bought the car it started right up no problems at all, so that was encouraging. I will probably send in the heads as a precaution and have them checked.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Thanks Ron,

In response to your first post I did just Purchase the car so I don't know the history on it, The kid I bought it from didn't really know much about cars, But he had a mechanic take a look at it and he diagnosed it head gasket, from looking at the car my guess is the upper radiator hose blew out and it overheated. when i bought the car it started right up no problems at all, so that was encouraging. I will probably send in the heads as a precaution and have them checked.
thanks for your help
Since you just bought it, do you know when the timing belt was changed? The V6 is an interference engine and requires a timing belt change at 90k I believe. If it hasn't been done of if you are unsure, do it soon. If it goes, the engine is TOAST.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks Ron,

thanks for your help
Have the machine shop resurface the head gasket surface so that if it warped in any way when the car overheated it would be corrected. I would also replace the thermostat if it has not been done in a while and check the radiator for leaks. Make sure to buy NEW head bolts, a NEW head gasket. These parts are very important. Another thing that is important is setting the timing correctly, torquing the head correctly and to the right specs. Let me know if you have any questions and how it all goes. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I got everything put back together started right up but has a clacking noise that sounds like valve noise. There is no backfiring from the Engine. I'm wondering if I'm off a cog or so on the cam gear. Near as I can tell its the cam closest to the front of the car. Although I spent a long time making sure everything was aligned correctly when I set the timing.

If you have any thoughts let me know

PS I tried to search the problem but the search function isn't available for me i guess.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
well I got everything put back together started right up but has a clacking noise that sounds like valve noise. There is no backfiring from the Engine. I'm wondering if I'm off a cog or so on the cam gear. Near as I can tell its the cam closest to the front of the car. Although I spent a long time making sure everything was aligned correctly when I set the timing.

If you have any thoughts let me know

PS I tried to search the problem but the search function isn't available for me i guess.
No search option for everyone lately. The geniuses removed the search option on the site to improve performance and reduce down time due to too much traffic :roll: The suggestion was to search SAAB Central via Google :lol:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Since you just bought it, do you know when the timing belt was changed? The V6 is an interference engine and requires a timing belt change at 90k I believe. If it hasn't been done of if you are unsure, do it soon. If it goes, the engine is TOAST.
X2 and not only the belt, the timing chain sprockets and tensionners and inspect the timing chain cover for oil leaks since the oil leak degrades the belt prematurely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much for the Info, I use google to search but its pretty random I think the only thing that is saving me is the links people put in past post to direct folks to post of similar issues.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yeah, this site is pretty much useless without the search function. Too bad, there's a lot of good info here that you can't find anywhere else. The owner of the site sells Saab parts so they won't allow other parts sellers to advertise and pay the bill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts