SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my 60,000 mile oil change so I thought I would check on the throttle body and to my surprise I found dried/sticky oil deposits on the intake tube coming from the intercooler. Is this normal? I checked the air intake turbine of the turbo and it is clean. So I am assuming the turbo is fine. Advise would be great.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If the turbo is on the way out wouldn't there be oil on the air inlet side of the turbo? I have no power loss.

Update: I've been reading on the internet that this is actually normal for turbo systems. This is just a small film and it is not wet. My oil level was fine, so I'm not bleeding oil. I guess I have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the only way for oil to enter the air system on a turbo applicated vehicle is through the turbo.

Ide take the hose off the turbo and inspect.

The turbo seal could be letting go, but you wont know until you notice the "smoke" show.

but its your car, you do wat u want.

I appreciate your help but you've got problems.:D I'm going to take the turbo off and check the seals. Something tells me it is just blow by. I don't have any smoke. It could also be the PCV system.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Xeo01 said:
I appreciate your help but you've got problems.:D I'm going to take the turbo off and check the seals. Something tells me it is just blow by. I don't have any smoke. It could also be the PCV system.
I have problems. Then why take my advice??

Honestly, very mature.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've seen this in non-turbocharged cars. A slight amount of oil from the throttle body gets into the intake tube. The source of that oil is the PCV valve.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I believe the volatile components of the oil normally found in the throttle body vaporize while the engine is hot and condense on the intake tube when the engine has been shut off.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
if theres oil in the intake system it means your turbo is on its way out.
Unlikely. I don't think there has be a turbo related failure yet on the 2.0 reported here.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It is perfectly normal with turbo charged engines. A little oil gets blown around and recirculated back into the intake. It gets worse when the boost is turned up. Some guys will add a catch can to trap it once they are boosting 20psi or more.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
michaLcoughliN said:
I have problems. Then why take my advice??

Honestly, very mature.
I was just kidding with you. I did take the turbo off and the seals are fine and there are no oil leaks. So that leaves blow by and PCV. Thank You all for your input. I feel reassured and michaLcoughliN I know more about cars than you think. I would appreciate you not cursing me out in a private email just because you think you know more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts