SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owkey, my car (2.0 T16 conv.) has oil in its coolant. I removed the head cause I thought it was the head gasket, but the old head gasket looks fine. There aren't traces of leaks. So, an obvious question: "What's going on???"

I also noticed that there's oil in the intercooler (probably coming from the turbo). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well i dont know much specific to saabs in this area but i do know stuff about turbos/engines. Basically with the oil in the coolant it could be head gasket, thats usually a sign of a BHG...now you said that the gasket looked fine, and im assuming that since you knew what the oil in the coolant was a sign of, and actually pulled off the head, you probably know what a BHG looks like...now id also look at sparkplugs and inside the cylinders, as you can tell by looking if there is a BHG based on differences, cant tell you what exactly to look for, but it would be apparent when you had the head off. The only thing i can suggest is watch the coolant level/temp, because if the coolant level drops steadily or the temp starts getting high, chances are it is a BHG. The only other thing i could think is if the turbo is water cooled there might be a leaking seal in the center section of the turbo between the bearing and water passages and the water is carrying some oil back...that would also mean that there should be some water in the oil, so check that, and if the oil is whiteish and frothy that would probably be due to the same thing.

How old is the turbo? Again i dont know the average life of the saab turbo, but most start to break down around 100k miles. This would be my guess if the turbo has higher miles "on it". If you can, try getting to the compressor wheel and check if it has alot of shaft play. if it does chances are the seals in the oil bearing arent working, letting oil into the compressor housing and then into the intercooler, but with most turbos if you get an oil leak into the compressor, it will be leaking into the turbine as well...does your exhaust smoke?
Hope that helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has 84k km's. The exhaust doesn't smoke, but I will check the shaft play. Thanks for the help!

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Holes in the headgasket can be so tiny that they're almost invisible to the naked eye. They don't always look like this:

I saw a photograph once of a headgasket that had blown, yet with even close inspection the hole wasn't visible. However, there was a hole there that could just be seen if the gasket was held upto the light.

Here's some more pics of lown headgaskets from the Townsend site:
http://68.155.246.108/engine_folder/headgasindex.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts