SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9-5 SE V6 Turbo Wagon and after changing the turbo I started getting oil in my coolant system.

We don't believe there is any coolant in the oil system, and my mechanic really doesn't believe there is a head gasket problem, although he has not actually ran a test on this.

I have heard elsewhere it could be the oil cooler, but he thinks there might be a problem with the turbo (I bought it used as I got a good deal on it and it came with a decent warranty, which it is still under).

Any theories on what the most likely scenario would be or easy ways to find out?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Oil cooler is notorious for this

Buy the cooler intended for the Cadillac Catera V6 enigne. Not only will it likely be easier to find, but it is stainless steel and won't fail again.

The turbo is integral to the exhaust manifold on the V6 and can't be replaced by itself, IIRC. Start by investigating the highest frequency cause of this problem, i.e. the oil cooler, before looking at fringe causes. This is called Pareto Analysis.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The V6 cooler goes thru the oil pan and they will fail.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You right, the oil cooler on the V6 will fail somewhere along the line. Lots of good instrcuctions are available on the site. I replaced mine last year and it also fixed a small oil leak at one of the o-rings at the oil pipe into the cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses

How critical is this issue?

I just replaced all my radiator hoses because I had one burst followed by another and they were all original hoses. Is this something that will cause serious issues if I don't get it fixed immediately?

I suppose having the oil in it keeps the fluid at a higher temperature than it should be which can't be especially good for the vehicle...

·
Registered
867 Posts
How critical is this issue?
I would say about an 8 no lower than 7!
10 being the most critical.
Oil should not be in the coolant!!! and if you dont fix what is causing it you will likely destroy something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts