SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting oil from the dipstick tube, judging by the oil spot that is always there on the plastic cover around the dipstick tube. I assumed that I had a problem with either the PCV update or I had severe blow-by under high boost.

I had someone driving behind me tell me that the car stinks like burning oil and spits out a bit of blue smoke when accelerating.

I checked the direction of the big blue check valve (torwards the dipstick tube) and little white check valve (torwards the throttle body tap).

Compression testing tonight revealed that I have between 212 and 225 psi on all cylinders. Last time I checked compression was around 20k ago, came out to between 190 and 200 on all four. I don't think that the compression would be that high if I was getting massive amounts of blow-by. Running engine with dipstick removed reveals a small amount of blow-by, which I believe to be normal.

Checked the delivery tube, then the tap where the PCV tube meets the intake (pre-turbo) and there are small amounts of sooty oil in both places.

I'm running out of things that I can think of to check.. Anybody have any ideas? Seems like the blue check valve should run away from the dipstick but all the pictures I see show it going this way....

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Maybe oil is going through the valve stems...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible, but I hope not..

The head was replaced a mere 70kmi ago with a remanufactured saab head. Though, now that I type out 70kmi, I guess the head is not really that new after all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you checked that the breather outlet on the camcover actually breathes, on my wifes saab it was completely blocked.
If it is you need to take off the camcover and inside the breather splits into two metal tubes shaped like a 'W' which is impossible to clean out with a screwdriver as the open ends are up against the underside of the cover, the way I did it was to get a 4" length of twisted cable same as brake cable on a bicycle and put one end in a battery drill and then push the other end into the tube and literally bore my way through the carbon and soot that was choking the breather tubes, the cable will go round the tight bend as you run the drill. Then rinse with carb cleaner and blow out with an airline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.