SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots of threads on oil, fewer on filters.
I have two 2.0T and a V6. Always Mobil 1 0W-40 full synthetic.
I go about 4,000 to 6,000 miles, about twice a year between changes.

Will not use Fram or no brand filters.
Wix, Wix XP, Bosch, Mobil 1, Mann, Hastings, Hengst, SAAB OEM.

Comes down to price and filter media and the ability to trap smaller micron sized particles vs. efficiency.

The $6 cellulose fiber filters like SAAB OEM and Mann and basic Wix vs. $10+ synthetic Wix XP and mixed fiber and synthetic Mobil 1.

Is the trapping of extra small particles worth $4-6 dollars a change extra worth it or does it matter?

What else to consider? I am into these cars for the long haul

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good Point.
I thought Saab (or GM) changed the spec of the OEM filters.
Blue vs Black rings a bell. But I'm not 100%.
My view is that cars that are subject to the PCV update could be more fussy about filters.
If you are using OEM filters, High grade oil like Mobil 1, and changing at those intervals you already have all the bases covered.
Personally - I'd save the money and put it towards some new hoses for example, but that's just my view.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If by blue or black you mean metal can filter 2003-2011 2.0T and V6 use insert type filter.

While a fiber filter may last the intervals mentioned is the smaller particle trapping capabilities of a synthetic media appreciably better?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
For our two B207R powered 9-3's I've gone to exclusively using the AC PF458G filter - it uses a Hengst element and includes the cap and o-ring. Maybe not as environmentally friendly, but I keep the caps as spares in case I ever crack one. I think they are worth the $10ish price considering the cap by itself can cost more than that separately.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If I knew that the $4 bought a better filter there would be no question.

I remember locating a bigger and more easily sourced (in Australia) filter that was actually cheaper because it was more common - I don't remember what it was.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
For our two B207R powered 9-3's I've gone to exclusively using the AC PF458G filter - it uses a Hengst element and includes the cap and o-ring. Maybe not as environmentally friendly, but I keep the caps as spares in case I ever crack one. I think they are worth the $10ish price considering the cap by itself can cost more than that separately.

What is strange is that Rock Auto does not list this filter as a part for the 2.0T SAAB NG-93 engine, or list the SAAB 9-3 as one of the many possible GM fitments for this filter when searching by the filter number only.

A quality brand filter, new cap, and O-ring (although I believe all brands include the O-ring) for under $8 is great news. I believe the filter cap on our 2006 9-3 with almost 100K miles is still factory original. This deal makes the filter car effectively a free replacement.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The top Fram filters are supposed to be very good.
Fram has a terrible reputation. A couple of guys on YouTube have cut up Fram Extra Guard and found rust, cardboard endcaps and filter medium that just fell apart.

Most car forums say the same thing. But we each have our favorites.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I use AC Delco... that way I don't have to worry, although for air and cabin air I use Mann.... the 458G as a unit is a good buy for the LK9 I use them also all the ecotec variations LK9 up until the LTG use the cartridge insert.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fram has a terrible reputation. A couple of guys on YouTube have cut up Fram Extra Guard and found rust, cardboard endcaps and filter medium that just fell apart.

Most car forums say the same thing. But we each have our favorites.

Look at the Tough Guard and Ultra Synthetic.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look at the Tough Guard and Ultra Synthetic.
I understand a company making tier product offerings but even the mid level items should not be what I saw.
Do not trust Fram for that reason.

For upper level I have liked what I have seen of Wix XP.

Mid level I like Mann, SAAB, Hengst and regular WiX. All have good construction but looks like fiber filter media, Wix XP is synthetic

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have been using filters for PT Cruiser turbos on my two 9-5's - same gasket diameter and same mounting hole diameter and thread pitch. They are larger = more filter media, thus last longer before clogging. I have also used Fram filters with no noticeable problems. Perhaps I will buy a different brand given the bad reports.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been using filters for PT Cruiser turbos on my two 9-5's - same gasket diameter and same mounting hole diameter and thread pitch. They are larger = more filter media, thus last longer before clogging. I have also used Fram filters with no noticeable problems. Perhaps I will buy a different brand given the bad reports.
Consider this Wix XP, good value IMHO. Double check the fit, this is for 2.3L

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/saab,2004,9-5,2.3l+l4+turbocharged,1428645,engine,oil+filter,5340

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
How long intervals you have in oil change?
There is no such thing called long life oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How long intervals you have in oil change?
There is no such thing called long life oil.
I'm 99% positive I'll be buying a 07 combi with 149k miles very soon as a DD. The owner is a small used car dealership. This car is sooo clean and service records for years. The dealership knows the previous owner.
Anyway, the owner of this dealership has had and dealt with Saab for 40+ years. He loves'em. He told me to change the oil every 2-3000k miles. I suppose that makes sense as the turbo must be sharing the engines oil.
I don't know if these cars have magnetic drain plugs or not, but that's 1 thing I installed on my soon to be garage queen.
One could also install an oil catch can (I did this too) and when draining the oil, jack the car up on the side opposing the drain plug to get the last little bit out. If the oil pan's never been dropped, that's probably not a bad idea to pull and clean it, especially on a high mileage car. Much of the worst stuff settles on the bottom.
I've been using Fram for a long time, though not on a turbo car. Last 15 years on a Nissan VQ. Purrs like a lion. No problems.
Mobile 1 5w 30 and Lucas synth. additive. 4 to 1 ratio on the Infiniti.

·
Registered
536 Posts
But those should all be non-issues for a cartridge filter, right? There's no can to rust and the endcaps have to be molded rubber to seal with the housing. And since users are viewing the filter media with every filter change, I'm sure Fram is aware that any media integrity issues would kill their company. Not that I'm suggesting you use Fram, just that those concerns don't exist with a cartridge style.

As far as different filter "quality level" goes, I ran UOA on both my 1999 9³ and 1990 C900 for over 5 years on each vehicle and part of that process included using different spin-on filters to see if there was any noticeable difference in UOA results. The answer was no; the basic filters worked just as well as the high-end synthetic filters. Ever since I've only bought basic filters.

I should note that changing only the filter showed a huge improvement in oil quality. That meant I could extend my 9³ OCIs to 10,000 miles and my C900 OCIs to 20,000 miles. Neither of these cars had GM's OLM, which has shown to be very accurate at estimating synthetic oil life. Are you basing your OCIs on the OLM?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'll say it again.

The top Fram filters are excellent. If you research it, you'll see it's true.

I am now running Fram Pro Synthetics filters that I boughtt on Rock Auto; for the price they're unbeatable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts