Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i just got my oil filter in the mail from.... Ebay :roll:
and it looks used. how do you know if it has been used or not.

i will send pictures if people need them.

thanks
~Mike

·
Registered
596 Posts
Look for any discoloration, however slight, of the filter material, any eveidence of mounting or drop-in (rubbing on "frame"), smell it - should smell new!Did it come in a sealed OEM box?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bobsaab said:
Look for any discoloration, however slight, of the filter material, any eveidence of mounting or drop-in (rubbing on "frame"), smell it - should smell new!Did it come in a sealed OEM box?
it came in a "box", a tattered Saab box.

i <3 ebay :roll:

~Mike

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The thought of buying a used oil filter is just hilarious to me. Only on ebay would such a thing even be possible. I'm going to try and sell my oil filter after the next change just for ****s and giggles. :cheesy:

That doesn't look used though, just give it a smell. If it's used it will reak of oil, if it's new it'll smell a little like paper.

·
Registered
610 Posts
They are 6.50 on genuinesaab.com and im sure not too much more at the stealer...but i dont use em anyways....gotta love the fram oil filters. ive used them for as long as i can remember and a filter is a filter. i know that my local parts shop always stocks them, and ive only seen one time when the row wasnt full, and it was only missing one filter....i guess i am the only saab driver that runs the fram in my town.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I'm hestitant to use Fram after I realized that my saab and my mom's v6 camry use the same fram filter. :confused: Plus that grip stuff just bubbles and distintigrates from the heat. Don't know about using saab filters though, can't be too much different.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I'm hestitant to use Fram after I realized that my saab and my mom's v6 camry use the same fram filter. :confused: Don't know about using saab filters though, can't be too much different.
Thats because the Fram filters are not model specific, its a case of they have the same thread size therefore they are suitable. :eek: Bottom line with Saab OE filters is they are so cheap its a false economy to buy a pattern filter.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dudes I'm like totally out of it - I thought he was talking about an aftermarket air filter. ;oops:

So I take back all my bizarre, out of context suggestions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
StX221 said:
gotta love the fram oil filters. ive used them for as long as i can remember and a filter is a filter.
:evil: :nono; :evil:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Filter is a filter? Disghusting.

Frams all have cardboard internals and cheap valves. I've taken several apart myself. I don't touch fram anymore. My experinces with the black "rough" grip have been the same as the above mentioning.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I used a saab filter from the dealer for the first oil change I did. Since then I've been using Mann oil filter as I can get them at a trade price through my brother.
They are shorter than the saab filter (about 2/3 the size of a saab oil filter). I've read that Mann filters are good and that they pack alot of filtering medium for its size compared to other larger filters.
Any comments, experiance from others about Mann?

Cheers:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Guys, on all my cars where I use Mobil 1 synthetic, I have always used the Mobil 1 oil filters. They are more expensive, $11-$12 is this a good oil filter for the Saab 9-5 Aero or should I stick with the Saab oil filter? I've always read that Mobil 1 fileter are superior in quality?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Personally I'd stick with Saab, but you got the right oil ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I just read through some of the filter info, and the Mobil filter is a good one, expensive but good. But I'll never use a orange fram again, I'm putting a Saab filter on my car today, even though it's not time for an oil change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mfong said:
ok thanks guys.

as for the price... i paid 4.99 for it + 5 dollars for shipping. :roll:
good price?

~Mike
When you just mentioned buying oil filter from e-bay - I wondered why would anyone do that? Saving may be $5 is not worth the e-bay hassle.
Now it turns out you didn't even save anything. I'm buying this stuff here.
Oil filter is $5.75 + $4.70 US delivery (or you may buy more different stuff and save on delivery) - basically same prise you've payed, but guaranteed new and fresh.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bobsaab said:
What is recommended (by everyone here) oil change interval if using synthetic oil?
No more than 6,000 miles between changes ;)

Apparently this is overkill, but hey makes me feel good :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.