SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a bit fed up with my old chain wrench flopping about when it`s filter removal time - anyone know a good brand which fits neatly to make the job a pleasure??
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I find that hammering a screwdriver through the filter is the most fun - really taps into that destructive urge :D

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I don't use anything. I put on a glove and I just grasp it and rotate it.

It's tight (my hands are just slightly too large to actually fit in there) and I can only rotate it one degree at a time but once it's moved a few degrees I can move my hand out and spin it with my fingers and put a new one.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I bought one rescently, i recon it's in my top 5 most cheap & usefull tool purchases, removing the oil filter is a breeze, no mess, no fuss:cool: .

Only used it on the NG so far, but i had an utter nightmare removing one off my T8 so hopefully when i come to do that again hopefully it'll be alot easier.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I use a cheapy (from the dollar bin...) plastic handle rubber strap wrench--shouldn't need anything stronger--BUT if you do I've had the screwdriver method do terrible things--after the oil filter is torn in half (yes the thin metal tore like paper--not on a saab) you'll really be asking what should I do?!

·
4,637 Posts
julianm said:
Getting a bit fed up with my old chain wrench flopping about when it`s filter removal time
Just don't put them on so tight next time. I've only had to use a chain wrench on cars I have not owned before. Once I've changed the filter once, they always come off by hand...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've used one of these for years - it's a Facom U46. You put it in place around the filter and tighten the knob on the end until it grips them turn the whole issue and undo the filter:

There is just enough room to get it in place if you remove the intake snorkel thing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Channellock makes a set of pliers with extended, adjustable mandibles that will grasp just about any oil filter and remove same so long as there is room to weasel it in there to get a grip.

That said, go find a socket type wrench that fits filters that go on, say a 2000 model Toyota Land Cruiser. They use the same model filters that go onto our Saabs. The socket wrench fits, too. It goes onto a 3/8" drive ratchet.

Either is neater than the screwdriver thru the filter body method.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
i find it's so difficult to get in with anything, so i have a long flat head screwdriver and tap the edge of the rim till it moves then it's an easy hand job, and although as said dont tighten them to much, which i don't,(and oil the seal) some times they just seem to hold tight, but if i have had a car new to me they always have to be forced first

·
Registered
888 Posts
I found the perfect wrench, quite by accident. I use a pry bar, one of the ones that almost looks like a giant flat screwdriver with a 15 degree bend at the bottom. I place the tip of the bar on the left side of the filter (standing next to the car) with the tip bend going up. This places the tip square on the indented circle on the top of the filter. Several light taps with a hammer and it unscrews. No punching holes in the filter, no burning my hands, no mess! Once it is loose, I just finish spinning it by hand, and hand tighten the new filter.

I used to dread this chore, now it is a piece of cake. I will start a new thread with pictures in a few days.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are dealers/mechanics taught to put the filters on as tight as they possiably can or something?
Took me and my dad about an hour to get the stupid filter off because it was so tight, and we couldn't get anything decent on it.
In comparison, my other car that I've done the last 4 or 5 oil changes on I had it compleatly changed in 30 minutes because nothing was put on "Superman style."

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
fetchitfido said:
Are dealers/mechanics taught to put the filters on as tight as they possiably can or something?
Took me and my dad about an hour to get the stupid filter off because it was so tight, and we couldn't get anything decent on it.
In comparison, my other car that I've done the last 4 or 5 oil changes on I had it compleatly changed in 30 minutes because nothing was put on "Superman style."
That's what happens when they use a wrench to put the filter on - you're just supposed to snug it and then give it 1/4 turn after the gasket makes contact - some people crank it down like it's holding a wheel on or something - DIY and suffer no more!:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
rubber glove does it for me :lol:

C900's got to be one of the easiest cars for a filter change - better than crawling around underneath....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts