SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to do my oil change on my car, and I've done oil changes on many cars for years. But this one, I don't why, is a special kind of painful

The oil filter was pretty tight, so I tried tons of different methods to get it off. Nothin.

I was able to hammer a little bit of the filter to get some grips to clamp on, and this started to work, until I pierced the filter
I basically repeated the clamping and hammering until I declared failure. I don't have any filter wrenches, so I went and got one.

I got 2 different kinds, the strap kind and one that has a filter like shape and some teeth.

The main issue: the filter is just a centimeter too close to the oil pan (ng900 designers back at it again with an idiotic design)
which means the nicer oil filter wrench can't get any grip or leverage.

I tried the strap wrench, and I can confirm this: Strap wrenches don't work, will never work, and don't make any sense as to how they could work, there's no grip!

I've heard I could try using a long screw driver and getting leverage, considering the filter is already shredded to heck

thanks. 99 og9-3

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
IME, this is the best type of oil filter wrench for general use -

They come in two sizes - this is the smaller of the two and I think suitable for Saab, but check the dimensions. I have never found a filter this wrench can't remove.

The "socket type" that go on the end of the filter are also good, but tight quarters and specific sizing make them annoying to use.

The "jaw type" tend to rip up tight filters so I avoid them.

Sometimes a regular strap wrench will work, but the specialty type like I linked above is superior. If you use a regular strap wrench, it needs to be as close to the neck of the filter as possible.

You can also try to the screwdriver trick, but you need to be sure you get as close to the neck of the filter as possible AND be sure you don't damage the threaded adapter on the motor when you drive it through.

Although it sounds a little nutty, sometimes drizzling some brake fluid on the joint between filter and housing can help - brake fluid will damage most rubber seals and can help the filter back off.

Obviously, when reinstalling, it's just a half turn past seal engagement and no tighter. Definitely no tools to install!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've always just hammed in a long screw driver to get stuck filters out. It's messy but it works. Try to make sure not to hammer the screw driver in such a way that you ruin the threads of the shaft that sticks out the block

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I prefer the cap type. As long as you stick with one brand of oil filter, and you don't use an extended length one, there's plenty of room for the filter cap socket/wrench and a ratchet, and you don't need to have multiple sizes on hand. I have a couple of various type of strap, chain, and clamp-type oil filter wrenches on hand for when I need to remove something odd on someone else's car.

·
Super Moderator
8,454 Posts
2 things with the can type filter 1st oil the sealing ring before fitting it,2nd hand tight + no more than1/8- 1/4 of a turn..That's how I did mine never had any issues..

·
Registered
2 Posts
i recently got a 02 9-3 and when i went to change the oil the filter was extremely stuck. it was the first filter ive ever seen that was actually rusty. i tried the regular filter wrench, the pliers type wrench, the screwdriver... none of it worked... finally i got the giant vice grip filter wrench and that actually took it off. the plug was also extremely rounded off so i had to drill it and easy-out it. it was the most difficult oil change ive ever done in my 20 years of doing them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Get the 460 or 480 pliers. They are much more useful for MANY things than the oil filter pliers (retracting brake caliper pistons, etc.). The filter pliers work best when you have perpendicular access...the 460s work from almost any angle

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I've got some big regular Channellocks, and they are what I use to press the brake calipers back in. They're very handy! You can never have too many tools! :D

·
Registered
'96 SAAB NG900 SE (R.I.P.), '99 SAAB 9-3
177 Posts
Get a sturdy hose clamp and tighten it on the filter with some bike inner tube in the gap for grip. Then take a hammer and hit the hose clamp to loosen the filter.
That's how i removed my stuck filter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've done this with other cars, I can't really say if you would have room to do this on your car.
With a screwdriver or a chisel cut a notch on the rolled part of the filter then drift it around with a hammer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts