SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i was out of town my girlfriend thought she would be helpful and have my oil changed. I never take my cars to quicky lube shops. She didnt know any better.... Of course they cross threaded and stripped my plug. I bought a new plug and it goes in but will never tighten, just spins and spins. With the gasket i have on its not dripping to bad (right now). Anyone ever have any experience with the self tapping plugs? I would just a size slightly bigger.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used one of those self tapping kits on a lincoln and it worked well, I didnt have the car for much longer after that so i cant vouch for longevity but it did hold for a good year or so. I've just wedged bigger screws into aluminum parts on cars before, thats how my trans mount brackets held on atm, but i wouldnt do it for a part that is removed often.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While i was out of town my girlfriend thought she would be helpful and have my oil changed. I never take my cars to quicky lube shops. She didnt know any better.... Of course they cross threaded and stripped my plug. I bought a new plug and it goes in but will never tighten, just spins and spins. With the gasket i have on its not dripping to bad (right now). Anyone ever have any experience with the self tapping plugs? I would just a size slightly bigger.

I would take the car back there and DEMAND that they fix it by any means needed. If they have f'ed something up bad enough that would require a new oil pan....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Go to an Auto Zone. Tell them your oil drain plug stripped and ask where there plug stop is. It's a rubber stop that has a bolt through the middle, and at the end of the bolt is one of those anchors that will go in a hole, but not come out. Then it gets tightened and the anchor will pull the stop into the hole. These are effective at sealing and staying tight. Don't over do it when tightening those as you don't want to break anything off in the oil pan. Make sure to get a rubber stop the correct size as the hole. You also might want the girlfriend to take her receipt and the car back to the oil change place, and point out it's leaking. Then have her accuse them of stripping it. They might actually own up and replace the pan. If they deny the damage, have her say she'll file a complaint with the "Better Business Bureau" which they aren't going to like. If she goes by herself the 1st time, they're less likely to accuse her of stripping it. GL.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The self tapping over sized plugs are probably the easiest way to go. They just screw in over the damaged threads.

The best alternative is to tap it out the next size larger.

In a real pinch, the oil pan specific rubber expanding plugs work, but I've my doubts on any long term use.

If available, I'd tap out the hole to the next size up and use a different plug (even SAE rather than Metric) rather than a 1/2 size that might be impossible to replace in the future.

If you can cant the engine forward to keep oil from oozing into the area, and really get the damaged threads clean, you could use a metalized epoxy such as JB Weld. Did that years ago to a Jaguar I've got, it's been fine. But... it's really difficult to get the area clean enough for the epoxy to properly adhere.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did take it back to the shop. it was a couple months ago when she did it and their reaction is "we have no way of knowing you didnt do it to yourself"
:evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
thats when you say "i dont work on my car, i just saw oil leaking and was concerned"

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Call the corporate office and raise hell. In the mean time do the Autozone plug.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
This is why I do all my own work on my cars and bikes.

How could they cross thread something as easy as a sump plug.

It's real hard to find a good mechanic.

Most mechanics aren't worth a pinch of shat :x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts