SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my stick always reads above Max, and yet more than one mechanic has told me that I have a/multiple small oil leak/s. What gives?

1992 900 Turbo

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
So my stick always reads above Max, and yet more than one mechanic has told me that I have a/multiple small oil leak/s. What gives?

1992 900 Turbo
Someone overfilled it and you have oil leaks.

Lol? Maybe they are giving you extra because you have leaks!

Unless its an inch or something over the dipstick full I wouldn't worry about it can "apparently" cause flow problems as fhere isn't enough space for the oill to return freely as its cavitated (full of air) after passing through the bearings turbo etc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's got to go in for an oil change soon anyhow, so I guess I'll check with the shop as well. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
You only check it after the engine has sat for a while never just after running.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you had an oil leak of any significance you would see a drip or puddle under the car when it's parked. An engine can look oily with a minute leak. If you are not using oil as indicated on your dipstick, I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's keeping you awake at night. :lol: As Ed says above, wait a while before you check oil after engine stopped, to allow it to drain down. Also check oil with car on a level surface. Even a slight gradient can make a difference to the level. Don't worry if it's a small amount above the max mark (10mm), it will do no harm.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Drain the oil, change filter, refill with the correct amount of oil (check your manual). Start it to fill the filter, shut it off and let it sit a minute. File a new mark on the dipstick at the right spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts