SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
im going to install one from jegs.com for much less than that. i was going to do it when i did the turbo swap but everyone on the site said that i dont need to but after hooking up a temp guage, im going to... it cant hurt.

·
Banned
736 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I'm planning on having more than 250 horse soon, so soes that mean I need to buy the 450hp cooler?

·
Banned
736 Posts
no, i think thats just to help and rate the coolers. i would get the 450 one, im sure the 250 would do the trick. if you get this done before me let me know how it went and show me some pictures. i was thinking of placing it between the hons and the a/c so i would need to get something that would fit just right.

im happy i used the AN fittings when i did the turbo swap so when i add a oil filter i just need a few things.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I highly doubt I'll do it before you, I wont even have a chance to work on the car until thanksgiving. But if I do Ill send you a pm

·
Banned
736 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
I highly doubt I'll do it before you, I wont even have a chance to work on the car until thanksgiving. But if I do Ill send you a pm
how were you planning on tapping off the oil lines?

·
Banned
736 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
A sandwich plate

or is that not what you're asking
no thats what i was asking, will it fit? i thought about that but with the 6pt brace i think the oil filter might hit.

and where would the oil come back from the cooler?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm going to do some research on different ones to see wich fits/ works the best for our applications, since I too have the sub-frame brace and I didn't even think about whether or not that would poae an issue with clearance.

As for geeting the oil to and from the cooler, Im guessing I would want to send the oil to the cooler before it hits the filter? and then route it right back to the plate to be sent through the filter and on to the engine.

Any other suggestions or pieces of information would be helpful though, and I thank anyone who helps me out in advance.

·
Banned
736 Posts
im not sure about all of those plates but i know that the ones that i looked into only had outputs on them so you could not run the oil back into it. what i wanted to do was take the oil line that goes to the turbo and run it from the location near the filter to the cooler and then to the turbo, so that the turbo would be getting nice cool oil all the time and help it stay cool and boosting good.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats not a bad idea either.

I guess I just need to spend one of those days under the hood looking over all the possible ways of doing it to find the best one.

·
Registered
365 Posts
jonny72888 said:
im not sure about all of those plates but i know that the ones that i looked into only had outputs on them so you could not run the oil back into it. what i wanted to do was take the oil line that goes to the turbo and run it from the location near the filter to the cooler and then to the turbo, so that the turbo would be getting nice cool oil all the time and help it stay cool and boosting good.
That sounds like a really good idea.

·
Banned
736 Posts
do a search and you'll find one of my threads about swapping a td04 and a bunch of people say its over kill but if i could go back i would add one.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It runs under and forwards of the rad. If you fit a large x-flow IC you may need to relocate or replace it as it alows for a better IC location. Mine has a Mocal oil cooler that sits infront of the rad on the top of the IC although I think it drasticaly cuts down airflow through the rad.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I installed the exact one of those (Permacool 250) on my 97 wrangler heavily modified for off-roading. It didn't make a huge change in temps or anything; but with the heavy off-road use of the vehicle it protected the engine better. Offroading is usually higher temps due to the slow speeds; so the cooler aided in this. It also added close to a full quart extra oil, so that was a nice bit of added security as well.

when I did oil changes; my oil still looked new after 5k miles even after hours in the mud and dirt :cheesy: I say they can never hurt (Though I didn't know the Saabs had one stock; so it may be unnecessary?)

The Perma-cool kits come with a sandwich plate that has both input and output for the cooler; so installing it is as easy as tightening the hose clamps;)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts