SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
NO idea,

but it acctually shocked me.. Cause.. He was a wealth of Car information and sources. He knew what he was talking about..

but this, i acctually had no clue of.. I thought it would be the same system as a Automatic tranmission cooler. Using air cooled raditor looking thing to cool the ATF

I had to ask..

·
Registered
364 Posts
all I could find was the Oil Cooler Pipe which is in the in the automatic trannsmission and there you use ATF, so I am just as confused :confused:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There is a power steering fluid cooler. The engine oil cooler is on the engine on Ecotec models and has two coolant lines connected to it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
below the power steering,

Is a silver box looking thing.

Mounted on the right hand side. Oil cooler right?

SOOO.. how in the hell is anti-freeze/coolant/ helping cool oil? Like a radiator, the out side grills have coolant, but in the inside there is oil runing around?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
SidewaysD said:
SOOO.. how in the hell is anti-freeze/coolant/ helping cool oil? Like a radiator, the out side grills have coolant, but in the inside there is oil runing around?
There are two types of oil cooler, much the same as transmission cooler. One type uses an external radiator, in which the oil simply runs through a small radiator which is cooled by air passing over it.

The other type utilises a heat exhanger with engine coolant in it, the oil runs through a coil which is surrounded by coolant. If/when the oil temperature exceeds that of the coolant (oil temperatures can exceed 110 deg C during hard driving) some of that excess heat is transferred into the coolant which is then cooled by the engine's radiator.

The 9-3 uses the latter type for both oil and auto transmission cooler (although the transmission cooler is mounted in the main radiator side tank). This means you don't need extra space at the front to mount extra small radiators.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts