SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete B202 Turbo engine (with 105k miles) standing by waiting for for something to break on my B212 in the car right now.(with 170,000 miles)

Since I have all the turbo parts, I figured I would put the oil cooler in place on my car so it was one less thing to do during the conversion. The oil filter block for the turbo engine (with the two pressure lines) was gunked up so I cleaned it out... then I put it on the B212 and DID NOT hook up the cooler lines. I started it and oil blew out from the housing. I thought the housing had a thermostat that didn't divert oil until 176deg F or so. Is the part broken? The oil and rest of the engine were at room temp when I started it.

THis is sort of un-nerving because I dont want the oil cooled all the time...so I just have the cooler and lines mounted with the stock N/A filter block in place.

the thermostat spring and diaphram seem to be in fine order....what do you all think?

so what gives?

·
Registered
883 Posts
The thermostat will leak some oil as it's not strong enough to provide a complete seal against the oil pressure in the engine - it won't flow enough oil to significantly alter the oil temp untill it heats up to it's opening pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts