SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I have a issue with the car (9-5 V6 3.0 SE) and need help diagnosing the problem. Droplets of oil in the coolant, white smoke coming out of the exahust and mustard like substance under the oil cap.

How can I be 100% the problem is one or the other, maybe another?

Have a great day Folks, your help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Mustard like substance is moisture getting into the oil system. This can happen if you only do short commutes and don't get the car up to or at operating temperature for very long (the oil never gets hot enough).
White smoke is generally burning coolant or could be dying turbo or head gasket failure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mustard like substance is moisture getting into the oil system. This scan happen if you only do short commutes and don't get the car up to operating temperature for very long (the oil never gets hot enough).

You are correct on this one, I usually drive only 3 miles to and back from work. Thanks ;ol;

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the car running?
Hello, I feel the car was running fine except in the mornings right after start, it gave me the impresion that it was missing a little, I suspected it was due to wet spark plug(s)
I stopped using the car because I did not want to cause more damage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most of the time when oil and coolant mix on the V6 it's because of the oil cooler (Saab calls it the 'heat exchanger').

As nocturne said, white smoke from exhaust is basically dying turbo or head gasket. Not really any other options..

I'm in the middle of replacing the head gaskets on my 1999 9-5 V6 right now. It's a bit of an involved process, rather labor intensive, but certainly doable. I've gotten the heads off, changed the oil cooler because I was in there, cleaned, inspected, and the rear head unit back on. I'd you decide to do it yourself, feel free to ask whatever questions you have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the time when oil and coolant mix on the V6 it's because of the oil cooler (Saab calls it the 'heat exchanger').

As nocturne said, white smoke from exhaust is basically dying turbo or head gasket. Not really any other options..

I'm in the middle of replacing the head gaskets on my 1999 9-5 V6 right now. It's a bit of an involved process, rather labor intensive, but certainly doable. I've gotten the heads off, changed the oil cooler because I was in there, cleaned, inspected, and the rear head unit back on. I'd you decide to do it yourself, feel free to ask whatever questions you have.

It seems that we all agree on the head gasket (loss of coolant, white smoke, etc.). Since you mentioned, I guess is a good idea to replace the heat exchanger while doing the head gaskets.
I do not have any question at the moment, but I bet there will be as soon as the work begins, thanks for offering your help.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts