SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the iol cooler on my car less than 20,000 miles again and it looks like it has failed again...is that possible because the last one lasted for 70,000 miles;oops:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
DO you have a V6?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I do have the v6 and I believe the cooler is no good again because the car has all of the same symptoms as it did before. Coolant looks like melted coffee ice-cream, and some times the car turns over real hard also it looks like the bottom of the radiator is wet with oil.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
V6 oil cooler failure is not uncommon; especially with the original build cooler - last engines have a stainless coolers that are considerably more robust and of course more resistant to corrosion.

What can happen with cooler failure is you can get warped cylinder heads due to overheat, this does not necessarily manifest straight away either.

You can have the cooler pressure tested in situe but this is fiddly, but always check the cooler first before assuming a warped head/s.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already replaced the cooler 20,000 miles ago and now the same syptoms have returned...and I am pretty sure it is not a head gasket...so what gives?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
99saabse said:
I already replaced the cooler 20,000 miles ago and now the same syptoms have returned...and I am pretty sure it is not a head gasket...so what gives?
Oil cooler failure often gives rise over heating and warps the heads it will only a matter of time before a head gasket gives up; also it may not effect combustion, purely mixing of oil and water. Like I posted, have your cooler checked first for pressure and if this is good I can almost guarantee a headgasket or both has gone.

Twice I have bought dud V6's with failed coolers for repair and both times a complete top end rebuild was required including skimming the heads. Thankfully they are easy to work on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts