SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post to this forum. My '04 Arc is consuming oil at a higher then expected rate (about 1qt per 1500 miles) with no obvious leaks. Just took it in this morning and was told 1qt per 1000 miles is acceptable. I have a hard time accepting that having to add that much oil to an engine with only 11k on it is within specs.

My question is what are other owners seeing with regard to oil consumption? Thanks in advance.
--doug

·
Registered
609 Posts
That seems like excessive oil consumption. Mine was down less than 1/2 quart over 17,000 miles. I don't think the difference between a Linear and an Arc would have anything to do with it either. It sounds like you have a bad seal somewhere. Most cars I have heard have a maximum of about a quart every 3,000 miles. Any more than that, and I think that you are endangering your catalytic converter and sensors...

Ask your dealer to show you in print where it is acceptable for 1 qt./ 1000 miles. If they can't, call their bluff and go to another dealer or call Saab USA.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's total BS. You'd go through 17 quarts of oil between changes if that were true... wait, that's more than the sump even holds! Ridiculous.

I had a 1971 Fiat 850 Spyder that used less oil than that, literally. It went through tons of oil and it consumed no where near that much. :eek:

edit: My consumption is about 3 ounces every 8,000 miles, holding true for more than 26,000 miles now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, seemed crazy to me. I'll see what they say when they call back today. Hopefully, they will just correct it without a fight.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I've got 57,000 miles and have never had to add oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, I picked up the car today and it would appear that the mechanic is trying to diagnose the problem. They filled the oil up to the full mark and told me to bring it back in 1500 miles (a reasonable approach). However, they are still holding to the 1 qt per 1000 – 1500 mile story. The service manager told me it was in my owners manual but could not show me where. At the moment I’m not pleased with Dorrito Brothers because I think they are covering their butts when it’s obvious there is a problem. I will open a case with SAAB tomorrow. It’s a shame, I generally like the car, but there is no way I can accept having to add a quart of oil every month in addition to oil changes. :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Until he can point his finger to the place where it says "you may have to add up to a quart of oil per 1,000-1,500 miles", it doesn't exist. ;) In this day and age, that is really absurd, especially given the nature of the car. It's not some third-world heap assembled from industrial scrap.

I send samples of my oil to Blackstone Labs every 8,000 miles, and also sent them a sample at 3,500 miles total, to check initial wear. The tech stated, and I quote: "Those Swedes must be building these engines with white gloves on. Aside from a bit of silicate, typical residue from casting new parts, the oil is remarkably clean for a factory fill." And the level at 3,500 miles was full. You are apt to consume more oil initially due to the bedding-in of various parts, but it still would bever be anything like that amount. Something is passing oil.

Have you had an emissions test? If it's not leaking, it must be either in the radiator, or coming out the tailpipe. It's going somewhere. If the car used this much oil, you would literally never have to change it. Just swap filters every three months and top off the oil at every fuel stop!

I realize that it could happen under adverse conditions, but realistically, it won't use a quarter that much oil in 1,500 miles, even if it was 6 years old and had 140,000 miles on it. The guy is trying to cover his butt and not doing a good job of it, either.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2003 Vector did the same thing until about 21K on it. Then it stopeed. This is exactly what the dealer told me was going to happen when I started to complain at 10K. I was going through 1qt every 3k. Hang in there and it will probaly go away in time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It may be acceptable in some circumstances, but is it typical of this car, in our circumstances? It seems quite far from the norm for this car, so I would suspect some gremlins are at work in dostler's case.

·
Registered
489 Posts
not sure what is typical on the engine, yet, did find some very interesting information with a problem area that did cause increased oil consumption.

relates to the PCV valve. go here for some info. http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/si210-2418en.pdf

also appears from reading that Saab has changed their thinking and no longer recommends performing the "upgrade" until a new fix is designed. http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/crankvent.htm

so obviously a problem has existed with this and could be a possible scenario with dostler's engine.

Jaime

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dostler,

Do not panic about this. It will eventually stop. I had this problem until 17,000 miles, and after the first quart, it gradually got less and less until it stopped. I am at 47,000 miles now and have not had any consumption for 30,000 miles. If it did not stop, saab was going to replace my engine, but it never came to that.
There is a great deal of pressure in the engine, and the rings need to seat. they will, this is truly common.
If your dealer is respectable, they will get saab to pay for the oil, and always carry a full quart/litre in your car.

There have been other posts on this.
ANYONE else who has seen the problem go away by being patient, let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to see that others have had this problem and it did not require a new engine to make it go away. It would appear that many others have had this issue and it’s correctable. The fact that the service manager was so quick to start spouting the 1-1.5k story makes me believe many before me have had this problem. I just don’t know who would accept that kind of oil consumption with a basically new car. If the dealer would just own up to the problem I would be far less steamed.

Thanks again for the input, I’ll post again if there is some info others might be able to use.

--doug

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 05 Arc with 11,000 miles and my oil level hasn't moved at all.

Their is definately something wrong with your car if your adding that much oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts