SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should I change Oil on my new 2005 9-5 linear sportwagon?
Saab's free service is at 15000 miles, my dealer recommends 7500 miles.
I did oil changes every 5000 on my last car (2000 new beetle).
Any other regular maintenance I should do?

I want this car to last a long time, my relatives in Norway has the same Saab for 15 years +.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Or 3,000/3,500 + Fully Synthetic+New Filter if you're a freak like me (Chris too I believe)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Must be fully synthetic, and a 40 weight oil is a good idea.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What weights are you guys running? What does Saab recommend?
'

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
0w-40 or 5w-40 Mobil One oil

·
Registered
34 Posts
The owner's manual indicates 10.000kms (6.000 miles) between oil changes. Why do you change more often than this? Weather conditions? Very dusty roads? High speed driving or driving in heavy traffic?

I'm asking this, since I drive my Aero usually on weekends and holidays, or during winter when it's raining and I dislike driving my motorcycle... I don't drive the car in extreme conditions, no traffic, usually don't drive it in high speed or high RPM's, so I don't see any special indication to change a fully synthetic oil more often than the (already short) scheduled 6000 miles / 10000kms...

Weather here is moderate, with temperatures that go in winter between 0 and 15 degrees celcius (32 and 59 fahrenheit) and between 20 and 35 degrees celcius (68 and 95 fahreneit) on summer... Summer is dry, winter is wet (not now since we don't have rain for some months - very bad for our country, with a big number of forest fires, cities under water consumption restrictions, etc...).

Any help on this? BTW, last time I made an oil change by my own on my motorcycle I paid more or less $70 per 5 liters (1,32 gallons (???)), so you can imagine why I'm asking this...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why are you guys changing the oil so often? Full synthetic oil doesn't break down at all. I think it's overkill to chage the oil that often. If you change it at 7500 you should be fine, I think that is what Mobile 1 recommends.

·
Registered
103 Posts
how many of you change your own oil? Does SAAB not like that if you go in for warranty work but change your own oil ? New car and id prefer to spend the 30 bucks and do it myself than $120 and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have read before that as long as you keep your receipts for your oil an filter that you are ok with Saab, but thats what I have read here. Synthetic oil does break down just no where near as fast, so basically you are right that it doesn't break down. If I was driving my car completely on the highway or on the highway for the most part I would change it every 5K like Saab dealers recommend, but since I do a lot of mixed driving I change my oil every 3-3.5K. This is what I have done on all my cars and I think this is especially important for turbo longevity.

$2/100

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
uncc 9-5 said:
i run 3,000 on 10w-30 castrol. no synthetic for me. :nono;
That's a really bad idea, convential oil will bake in the turbo and ruin it. Saab specificly says use at least a semi-sythetic oil.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
photosaab said:
How often should I change Oil on my new 2005 9-5 linear sportwagon?
Saab's free service is at 15000 miles, my dealer recommends 7500 miles.
I did oil changes every 5000 on my last car (2000 new beetle).
Any other regular maintenance I should do?

I want this car to last a long time, my relatives in Norway has the same Saab for 15 years +.
The main reason for regular oil changes on a 9-5 has been because of engine failures as a result of the poorly design PCV system. This system was completely redesigned for MY04 onwards cars, and the service interval is now 18,000 miles or 12 months as a result.
So, as you've got a current MY05 car, there's no need to change oil more frequently than this.
However, I'd still recommend a change at mid service, i.e 6 months or 9000 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts