SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my lease, the dealer said oil changes every 10,000 miles were standard and free of charge. He said to come in when the car tells you to.

Well, I'm at 19,500 miles and my oil life is at 42%. What gives?

Do I take it in at 20,000 miles and pay? Do I wait to 10% oil life and worry about engine damage?

Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
885 Posts
gtg122a said:
As part of my lease, the dealer said oil changes every 10,000 miles were standard and free of charge. He said to come in when the car tells you to.

Well, I'm at 19,500 miles and my oil life is at 42%. What gives?

Do I take it in at 20,000 miles and pay? Do I wait to 10% oil life and worry about engine damage?

Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks!
how long have you had the car? its more on a calendar, than anything else, i've noticed. my wife's car had 5500 miles when her notification went on, but the car was a year old at the time.

if it's been more than a year, i'd suggest getting in contact with the dealer.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
This is an excerpt from a Saab TSB that can be found on the Genuine Saab site:

"The Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan enters a new level of maintenance intervals and requirements. Service intervals fall under main categories: Intermediate and Main Service interval. A message on SID indicates to the owner when either service is required.

MAIN SERVICE interval is based entirely on mileage driven: 30,000; 60,000 and 90,000 miles.

INTERMEDIATE SERVICE is set by an algorithm that determines when service is required. Miles driven, crankshaft revolutions, number of starts/cold starts, ambient temperatures, speed and engine temperature are among the measurements used to compute the interval with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years."

And some additional reading for the Noobs:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I wonder if your oil life indicator somehow got reset?

In official GM-ese (all GM cars have the oil life indicator, it is a huge boon to the environment) "42% at 19.8k miles is possible, but unlikely".

See Car and Driver this month. Their long term vehicle was an Escalade which had the same problem.

On the bright side, the 'Slade didn't have any damage from going 20K miles without an oil change.

Cross your fingers that yours is the same!

·
Registered
402 Posts
JonV;

The info you quoted applies to 2003 MY while the OP has a 2006 MY vehicle. The service intervals have changed somewhat since 2003.

Intermediate has gone from max of 15K to 10K miles and from max of 2 yrs to 1 yr,whichever comes first.Main has gone from max of 30 K miles and no time limit to 20 K and 2 yrs max.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Hugh said:
JonV;

The info you quoted applies to 2003 MY while the OP has a 2006 MY vehicle. The service intervals have changed somewhat since 2003.

Intermediate has gone from max of 15K to 10K miles and from max of 2 yrs to 1 yr,whichever comes first.Main has gone from max of 30 K miles and no time limit to 20 K and 2 yrs max.
Yup we all know that, that info was basically to ecplain how the algorithm works....also this : ...the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years." ....shows the potential variable in the interval, which is set at the factory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help! The service manager said "no big deal, but I wouldn't go over 12,000 miles between changes". Regardless of driving conditions, oil type, etc...that sounds like a really, really long interval.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oil changes?

I've ALWAYS changed my oil twice as often as the owners manual stated. I do the same with air filters. Cheap insurance in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts