SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think I have this in the right forum this time....

My wife has a 2001 9-3 that she bought before we were married. It's due for an oil change and she insists on letting the dealer do it at thier typically high cost. They have her convinced that due to some special fitting only a Saab dealer can change the oil.Help me to convince her that any good mechanic can change the oil in that car. She will read your responses.
Also I may have to change the water pump. I have done many of these on different cars before. Anything special I need to look out for on the Saab? Thank you in advance....Sid

·
Registered
353 Posts
22 years old and not a mechanic by any means and I changed my own oil two weeks ago. Hardest part of the whole process was trying to remember what size the oil drain plug was b/c I ran out of gaskets and needed to buy more. I made that a lot more difficult than it needed to be. If I had gone under the car and fitted a socket to it I would have known.

Oil filter wrench, socket wrench, oil drip pan, and something to prop the car up with is all you need. Nothing Saab-dealer only for an oil change.

Maybe a 30 minute job, and the majority of that is spent getting the car up in the air and waiting for the old oil to drain out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Due to the sludging issues with the year that you have, it may be worth the extra cost to have the Saab documentation for an oil change. If not, keep copies of the receipts showing oil weight, i.e. 5/30, oil filter, etc. Make a copy and give it to your Saab dealer for documentation for their records (note the mileage) if there is ever a sludging problem with the engine, they have documentation that you changed it and it will be covered under their extended sludging warranty. Just a CYS (cover your Saab) idea.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Do it yourself,

The dealerships are using either 5w40 m1, or 0w40 m1, which are both good oils, but the price they're charging I am sure is outrageous.

Changing your oil is about the easiest thing to do on the car. There is a nice oil thread sticky with all the oil info you need.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
mryan55 said:
My neighborhood dealer is $79.95 for a "Saab Signature Oil Change."

Of course, rear brake service is also $700+.
Well up here, Mobil is 30$ for 4.4 L, + 3.99$ for a filter...

thats all your dealership is doing. So you're paying double.

·
Registered
353 Posts
pcmalen said:
Due to the sludging issues with the year that you have, it may be worth the extra cost to have the Saab documentation for an oil change. If not, keep copies of the receipts showing oil weight, i.e. 5/30, oil filter, etc. Make a copy and give it to your Saab dealer for documentation for their records (note the mileage) if there is ever a sludging problem with the engine, they have documentation that you changed it and it will be covered under their extended sludging warranty. Just a CYS (cover your Saab) idea.

This is a good point, keeping records will also add to value if you ever wish to sell it.

One note on the extended engine warranty, it's almost up for MY 2001

Has your wife owned this car since brand new? If not how long? Do you have records of oil changes?

·
Registered
106 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
Well up here, Mobil is 30$ for 4.4 L, + 3.99$ for a filter...

thats all your dealership is doing. So you're paying double.
I know. I do the oil changes. Only thing I went to the dealer for was serp belt/idler pulley. I wasn't nimble enough to get it done myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pcmalen said:

She bought the car in 2003 with 60,000 miles on it. Had the extended warranty which is now run out. Tell me more about this sludging issue please. They also said the water pump was leaking, but for the life of me I can't see any leak. Also have a problem with the right side front seat constantly blowing the adjustment fuse. Dealer can't find a cause. Thanks for all the replies so far, I have allready learned a lot....Sid

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
sidthekid said:
Help me to convince her that any good mechanic can change the oil in that car. She will read your responses.
ATTENTION SID'S WIFE: You don't even need to be a GOOD mechanice to change the oil in these cars. It could not be easier.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I am not impressed with their competency (most Saab dealers), nevertheless, they do overcharge...:nono;

The basic oil change(by itself) is as simple and easy as any car, there is no mystery involved.
But, the mile service ( or annual service) is a horse of a different color.
A good technician does an inspection of all the vehicles systems - he is trained to know what to look for, how to check and test, and how to lubricate and make adjustments..
Quite a bit to this, particularly with a high mileage motor-car...

The "water pump" may well be seeping some coolant due to shrunken O rings.
Its bearing must be checked .
Monitor the fluid levels closely..
The car owner as a DIY, can do the service work better than most mechanics as he can check things on a daily basis....and he can train himself to know what to look for..
Park over white paper which will expose leaks.
Listen to the vehicle run - which everyone does and does well anyway. Observe how all devices function, anything askew, ask here..

·
Registered
353 Posts
sidthekid said:
She bought the car in 2003 with 60,000 miles on it. Had the extended warranty which is now run out. Tell me more about this sludging issue please. They also said the water pump was leaking, but for the life of me I can't see any leak. Also have a problem with the right side front seat constantly blowing the adjustment fuse. Dealer can't find a cause. Thanks for all the replies so far, I have allready learned a lot....Sid

The sludge issue has effected something like 5% of the cars. It comes mostly when people use non-synthetic motor oil or wait way too long for regular oil changes. There is a bunch of information in a post on the 9-5 forum called "let's talk about sludge."

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
bntroberts said:
The sludge issue has effected something like 5% of the cars. It comes mostly when people use non-synthetic motor oil or wait way too long for regular oil changes. There is a bunch of information in a post on the 9-5 forum called "let's talk about sludge."
Lol, evidentally you didn't read much of it.:cheesy:

Sludge can affect even the most careful of owners. It's an engineering flaw, not owner neglect. Although owner neglect can certainly exacerbate the issue.

Try reading these articles, bottom to top. A couple aren't sludge-related but most are. http://saabpros.com/saab/nines/ You'll note in one of the first articles, it points out that SAAB knew of the issue a long time back. For those of you who aren't immersed in GM, the way the company has reacted to the sludge issue is much more in line with the way GM handles engineering and design flaws. It is quite standard for them to throw up a big smokescreen and deny that it's a problem at all. Ask anyone who's ever owned a GM 3.8l V-6 and had a leaky intake gasket.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
earthworm said:
I am not impressed with their competency (most Saab dealers), nevertheless, they do overcharge...:nono;
there's the understatement of the year! our experience with our dealer has angered us enough that we switched to a local independant...with the only saab master mechanic in the state (if i have my info correct). oil change is insanely easy, however i'm still unable to do it due to my lack of a proper torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
you dont need a torque wrench. I have never torque the drain plug, and never had a problem. Just use common sense (or touch) I snug it up, the give it another 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
that gives me some time to save up at least! first oil change is being left to my mechanic though. cuz eh he's gonna drop my pan to replace the seal on it. at least we get to look for sludge and clean out the pan inside! :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can just about guarantee you that I am the least mechanically inclined person on this forum and I have changed my own oil, although it has been awhile. I only did so since being in the military gave me access to an auto hobby shop with a lift and the tools needed, and no hassle getting grid of the old oil.

Just make sure you use the proper oil and yes, by all means, keep a receipt. Be aware of Jiffy Lube and places like that. They left the oil cap off my 1994 Accord once and put the wrong filter on my wife's Prelude. If you go that route to save the mess, bring in your own filter and oil.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Sid, if you are near the Northern VA area, bring her and the car down to Tysons Corner in Vienna. We can teach her in a brightly lit, warm shop. Nobody has to get dirty. She can then see how much money is being thrown away at having somebody else do this.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I don't know - now I'm worried that for years I've been missing that "special fitting" she said the dealer referenced...:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will any brand of synthetic do or do I have to use the same brand as the dealer last used? This will be my first time using any synthetic....Sid

1 - 20 of 23 Posts