SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer suggests changing the oil every 7500 miles with Mobil1 0w40 (live in temperate climate, rarely below freezing, rarely above 95). I've never owned a turbocharged car before, but I had always assumed that the oil needs to be changed frequently in such a car. I've always changed my normally aspirated cars' oil at 3000-5000 mile intervals using conventional oil. The dealer states that oil changes that frequent are unnecessary with synthetic oil. But I have to wonder since the Lancer Evolution VIII (which also uses synthetic) recommends oil changes every 2500-5000 miles.

How frequently are you guys changing your oil, those of you who have had your cars a few years? What does the condition of the oil and filter element look like at your chosen interval?

Secondly, how many of you changed out your "break-in" oil before your first "regular" oil change?

Thanks for your input!!:)

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
6,000 miles

After reading the endless threads here...... I changed Mobil 1 oil and filter myself at 6,000 miles, 10,000 kms. Most difficult thing was finding the drain plug :( .... forget the the pics in the manual just look for the sump.. it's not the same side as the manual indicates.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In my last car, I changed the oil every 3000 miles using dino juice. In the Saab, I'm using a 5000 mile interval. I would stretch it to 7500 but I do a ton of city driving so all of the idling really takes its toll on the oil.

As for the Evo, that motor is under a ton of stress... 276hp from 2 liters. Saab squeezes 175 or 210 from the same displacement.

FWIW, on my old motorcycle (an air-cooled Buell which uses an air-cooled Harley Sportster motor), I'd change the oil every 2000 miles. Oil changes were extremely easy though... no ramps or orthopedic acrobatics required!

·
Registered
37 Posts
my dealer recommends 5000 intervals.. the dealer covers the 10000 intervals under their "free maintance" but for 5000, I have to pay but they gave me discount tickets...:lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a DIY-er and the oil change seems easy enough on this car... I run an auto body repair shop so I have everything I need to do it. Expense isn't an issue for me, I'm mainly concerned with properly maintaining the vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
flytojungho said:
my dealer recommends 5000 intervals.. the dealer covers the 10000 intervals under their "free maintance" but for 5000, I have to pay but they gave me discount tickets...:lol:
I'm assuming you mean Saab of Fishers. I just paid $110.00 ($120.00 with $10-off coupon) for the 5K mile service. Not the very cheap; however, many things are checked and inspected for this service.

·
Registered
286 Posts
31k on the ticker and 2 oil changes, one at 14k and the other at 28k. GM/Saab/Mobil/T8 better be right... My dealer swears anything other than the 15k interval is wasting money. Other manufacturers are starting to follow suit. My friend's Z3 has a similiar change interval.

·
Registered
37 Posts
clarkkent said:
31k on the ticker and 2 oil changes, one at 14k and the other at 28k. GM/Saab/Mobil/T8 better be right... My dealer swears anything other than the 15k interval is wasting money. Other manufacturers are starting to follow suit. My friend's Z3 has a similiar change interval.
u know why? because many of the european brands or other brands I should say have "free maintaince" up to around 30,000... do you think they want to spend money to change your oil? I think not... Yeah, the newer oils and engines do not need attention as older engines and oils but 15k intervals are ridiculous IMO. To me, if I have my car leased and planning on turning it back in, I say, 15k intervals are fine but if you're planning on keeping the car, I say change your oil sooner:cheesy:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The computer's service indicators are based around the 15k mile intervals the factory specifies. It does (allegedly) have an oil quality sensor, but I've heard the oil quality will not turn on the service indicator alone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm well beyond 15,000k oil change on car and car is still tickin like nothing. My last oil change was like at 30,000K, i'm at 47,000 now :) i will change it soon though, dont want to go beyond this point.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Every 7500 miles in my 9-3SS. Every 3000 miles in my dino fed Saturn SL2. Both cars get oil changed sooner if it becomes the color of Aunt Jemima maple syrup. And yes, I check oil and washer fluid at each fill up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts