SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been changing my (synthetic) oil every 3000 miles since buying my car 2.5 years ago. I typically only put about 50 miles a week on it in short trips (4 miles to work).

This low mileage means I only need two oil changes a year if I do it every 3,000 miles, but that exceeds the 3-month part of the "3 months or 3,000 miles" mantra. I'd rather not do oil changes every three months and I've felt pretty secure doing it every 3,000 miles. I never hear anyone here mentioning doing it every three months, but I'm now trying to be more attentive to my car's needs, as I really want it to last. So I'm wondering what my fellow SAAB Central members suggest in this case.

For the record, I am pretty sure I have the car's original PCV system, but I'm planning a sump drop and a PCV update very soon, just to be safe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I plan to do mine twice a year (every six months) and as my average mileage is 6000 per year that equates (roughly) to every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I stick to 4 months/4000 miles rule. First, because it seems reasonable to me as I also don't drive too much. Second, because that's what my mechanic recomends. Third, because that's a requirement of my extended warranty.

Also, metrognome, I don't think you need to worry about PCV or sump drop - you have a 99 SE, which suggests it's a V6. V6 don't have problems with sludging, and there are also no updates to PCV system (only for 4 cyl)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ok, so it's one of those rare SE versions with 4 cyl engine. In that case you should follow previous recomendations - sump drom and PCV #6 update.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
walmark said:
Ok, so it's one of those rare SE versions with 4 cyl engine.
Hmmm ... are they that rare? The SE designation just indciates a better stereo and other creature comforts, according to the 1999 brochure I picked up recently up from Ebay.

Anyway ... let's assume I do my sump drop and PCV update soon. Should I stick with 3000 miles or not?

·
Registered
30 Posts
metrognome said:
Hmmm ... are they that rare? The SE designation just indciates a better stereo and other creature comforts, according to the 1999 brochure I picked up recently up from Ebay.

Anyway ... let's assume I do my sump drop and PCV update soon. Should I stick with 3000 miles or not?

I would yes :D

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I go can go for 5000...

I do 5,000 miles per oil change, with periodic checks.

However, my drive is 15 miles to work with little or no stops. So much easier on the engine...Plus, the math is easier ;oops:

But from the sounds of your daily drive, you should be a bit more proactive about your oil - so 3,000 sounds good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts