SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 saab 9-3 and I just took it to the dealer couple days ago to get it oil change and flush the trans oil. After is done they left a stick on my car saying my car need next service after 7000 miles. Since the car is full synthic isn't it suppose to last 15000 miles? According to manual it said 2 years or 15000 miles too. So I would like to know how often should I do oil change and usually how often do you guys do it?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I have an 03, I do it every 7.5, ...yes I use Mobil one. I know I could take it further but It can't hurt. The expense in minor compared to Gas, Brakes etc.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I would say if you plan on keeping the car for several years, change in more frequently (say between 5-10k). If you have leased the car and have no intention of ever seeing it again after three or four years, save yourself some money and do it when the SID says it's due.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
sptsdn said:
I would say if you plan on keeping the car for several years, change in more frequently (say between 5-10k). If you have leased the car and have no intention of ever seeing it again after three or four years, save yourself some money and do it when the SID says it's due.
If it's a lease just do the free scheduled services and it's a done deal:D

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
JonV said:
I have an 03, I do it every 7.5, ...yes I use Mobil one. I know I could take it further but It can't hurt. The expense in minor compared to Gas, Brakes etc.
Can't hurt but does it really have any benefit, and it does have $120 of financial hurt. Us Europeans have been changing oil every 12 months or 12k for years, just seems the US does not want to get into the concept that oil today is different from oil 30 years ago (as are engines and engine management / monitoring).
The car comes with 5y100k powertrain these days so GM is on the hook for extended oil changes. Anyhoo.

·
Registered
253 Posts
SMHarman said:
Can't hurt but does it really have any benefit, and it does have $120 of financial hurt. Us Europeans have been changing oil every 12 months or 12k for years, just seems the US does not want to get into the concept that oil today is different from oil 30 years ago (as are engines and engine management / monitoring).
The car comes with 5y100k powertrain these days so GM is on the hook for extended oil changes. Anyhoo.
Out of curiosity, say you are under the free-service warranty and the dealer recommends more-frequent-than-10k mile oil changes.. does the free 3 yr/36k mi service cover that?

Mike

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
zim2dive said:
Out of curiosity, say you are under the free-service warranty and the dealer recommends more-frequent-than-10k mile oil changes.. does the free 3 yr/36k mi service cover that?

Mike
The scheduled maintainance is covered when the car says it is due scheduled maintainance.
JonV - I missed that one - you know you want to :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thank you very much for all your info I guess it doesn't hurt to change it every 7500 miles since I do plan on keeping it for few more years. Also did anyone ever do any engine cleaning for their car? Not the engine itself but inside like the combustion chamber and fuel injetion?? I took my other car to a dealership and they want to do a service that use some chemical to clean inside the chamber?? have anyone done anything like that?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
SMHarman said:
The scheduled maintainance is covered when the car says it is due scheduled maintainance.
JonV - I missed that one - you know you want to :lol:
It is with all my willpower that I am staying out of whats becoming a dreaded Oil thread:eek:

but just for fun, here's some gm ll A 025 Oils:cheesy:

Gulf GMAX, Castrol Edge, Elf Excellum, GMC Oils Alpha Longlife

Oh of course there's Saab Turbo Oil and thr trusted standard Mobil 1

·
Registered
86 Posts
SMHarman said:
Can't hurt but does it really have any benefit, and it does have $120 of financial hurt.

$120? Dealer price? Even for full synthetic (Mobil 1 0w40) you're getting ripped at more than $55 - $60. Buying the oil and filter and doing it yourslef costs around $30 - $35 with the Mobil rebate program and Autozone. The only thing that I'm unsure about is tire "rotation and balancing" :roll:

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
clyde733 said:
$120? Dealer price? Even for full synthetic (Mobil 1 0w40) you're getting ripped at more than $55 - $60. ....Snip

LOL, seems like I deleted a similar statement so's not to start nuffin:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts