SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got totally screwed by Valvoline today and need advice on how much damage they did to my car.:evil:

I took my 1990 Saab 900s (94k miles, automatic, non-turbo) in for an oil change. Upon pulling out, I noticed the car wasn't shifting into gear. I thought maybe it was coincidental and slowly drove a few blocks home. I then took it out for 10 minute test drive around the neighborhood, and it was worse. I could hardly get it to shift at all.

I went home, pulled the dipstick and here is what I found:

- Virtually no ATF fluid. I was able to add ~3 quarts.
- Oil was filled well beyond the max on the dipstick, maybe 1/3 beyond.

I am confident that the mechanic in the pit dumped my ATF fluid thinking it was the oil and confusing the plugs, and then the mechanic above added more oil to the engine (I was running low, so there was some room).:nono;

How much damage did I cause by driving the car with super low ATF and way too much oil? I drove for about ~2-3miles and had the car running for around 20 minutes.

·
Registered
13,021 Posts
Document everything.
Open a claim. The transmission is at risk.
Valvoline will eventually make it right if you persist.
The engine should be OK.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
I hate to laugh, but this is CLASSIC quickie oil change place hijinks. It's why Saab embossed OIL DRAIN by the oil drain plug. You are not the first person this has happened to.

Jim's advice is surely based on a lot of experience. :) The problem you will face is that if damage was done (to the transmission, very unlikely anything bad happened to the engine) it'll probably take a while to appear. It'll be a small fight, but they have no legs to stand on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
While you're checking things...

it might be worthwhile checking fluid level in final drive (differential) on auto gearbox. This contains gear oil separate from Type F ATF in rest of gearbox. The fill level plug is on right side in front of axle. If low, add through level plug hole until it runs out same hole.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Document everything.
Open a claim. The transmission is at risk.
Valvoline will eventually make it right if you persist.
The engine should be OK.
X2 on this. The 900 engine can cope with too much oil and almost no oil. Takes more than that to break it. The giveaway for no engine oil is severe cam/valve rattle.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Real mechanic

This is an unfortunate object lesson for paying the little extra to have your SAAB serviced by a mechanic familiar with your car and not the entry level employees paid to work at assembly line oil change locations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts