SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SAAB dealer is too far away and I need an oil change. I am going to a foreign car shop I have dealt with for an oil change. I have bought the Mobil 1 0W-40
oil. But what oil filter do I bring? What is the best? The local Wal-Mart has a Fram premium, but I thought I have seen a Mobil 1 extended service filter.

What do you recommend? I did a search of the forums but found no opinions.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Mobil 1 0w30 is preffered by recommendation.

I used Castrol. Since it was the only thing in stock. But preferrably , Mobil 1 or Amsoil are the best synthetics out there. Do some research on oils, they are the best.

The filter is a CH9018 (Fram) Thats if your running the Ecotec motor.

Maybe the shop your taking it to, has the filter? you should call them. If not its like $10 (can)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Are you implying the Saab OEM filter is made by Fram?

I certainly hope not.

Buy the filter from the dealer and have them send it to you.

Jaime

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've used Wix filters, which can be purchased at NAPA under NAPA's own name.

I've also used Champion Labs filters, sold at Autozone and Wal-Mart as STP and Supertech, respectively.

Also Purolator filters, sold at Pep Boys and Advance Auto parts under the Purolator name. The regular one, not the pure one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
last time i got an oil change. i just stuck with the oem filter. but i can get mahle filters for free, so im going to do that next time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The OEM filter mfgr for Saab used to be MANN. Not sure if they still are.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just did an oil change at local dealership. They used 0w-40 even though the owner manual recommended 0w-30. Will this be a problem?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The requirement is that the oil meets the GM-LL-025A specification. If they're using the Mobil1 0-40 you're fine, since it meets that spec.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
thomjam said:

I certainly hope not.

Jaime
As Jaime said order the "proper" filter from the dealer. The oem filter will offer the properly designed long life features that retail brands might not. Don't take a chance with the wrong filter.

And the Mobil 1 0W 40 (not 0W 30) is the best oil available for our cars.

·
Banned
631 Posts
thomjam said:

I certainly hope not.

Jaime
I was implying get an aftermarket fram filter or go with the Dealers filter. aka Saab filter.

Also regarding 0w40 is best for "our" cars. Tell me why you need a viscosity of 40? There isnt a huge difference in oils, but ide like to run the 0w30.

I guess its more of a personaly reference.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tell me why you need a viscosity of 40
this always is an interesting topic.

my manual states "For gasoline engines, SAE 0W-30 engine oil"

however, the engine is a small displacement 4 cylinder with a medium boost turbo to develop the power so the engine is stressed and runs hotter than a non-turbo engine.

if you then live in a warmer temp area plus drive somewhat aggressively, the heavier oil will provide better lubrication.

this is from a Saab Tech Bulletin:

"It is important to note that this computation is based on the use of fully-synthetic oil which meets GM-LL-A-025 specification. This is a specification that is currently not commonly found in the US. The only oils that are readily available that meet this specification are Mobile 0W40 SuperSyn and Saab 0W30 Turbo Long-Life Fully Synthetic oil.

Saab Fully Synthetic Turbo oil is available under the following part numbers:
12 799 131 = 4 liter container
12 799 130 = 1 liter container"

As my car is garaged and doesn't see the light of day unless it is sunny and dry, I use 0W40 year round.

If I drove it in the Winter and/or kept it outside, I'd use the Saab 0W30.

Jaime

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
I was implying get an aftermarket fram filter or go with the Dealers filter. aka Saab filter.

Also regarding 0w40 is best for "our" cars. Tell me why you need a viscosity of 40? There isnt a huge difference in oils, but ide like to run the 0w30.

I guess its more of a personaly reference.
Both 0W 30 and 0W 40 are spec'd for our cars and the two most "readily available and approved" are Castrol Syntec 0W 30 and Mobil 1 0W 40.

And the reason I say the M1 is better for our cars is based on fact. I ran the Castrol Syntec on a couple of intervals along with mostly M1 and did used oil analysis which are one this forum--you can do a search.

The wear #'s were similar however the Mobil 1 could last another couple thousand miles longer than the Castrol due to a better additive package I'm guessing. However to your point I might have got slightly better MPG with the Castrol which would make sense. Either is an excellent oil.

I just got my first analysis back on my Aero V6 and the M1 held up extremely well for the 10,000 miles.
The M1 is really hard to beat on every level including availability, pricing, and performance. Why use anything else?

Oh and btw the Saab 0W 30 Turbo oil was a good oil however it hasn't been imported to the US in a few years.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Hers a little pointer. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the "true" synthetic based oils.

Castrol , Valvoline, Quaker state, say they are fully synthetic, but still have properties, from regular based oils.

Mobil1 and Amsoil would be the best oils to use. Amsoil though is a little harder to get, since they do not sell it in stores (well here in canada anyways) You can purchase them at Lube shops that are able to get it.

Do some research on it, you will be suprised. Amsoil has a True full synthetic + synthetic oil filters which they say you can change your oil every 50,000km on regular driving conditions. To me thats insane, And I would personally never do it. But they have it, but then again $$$ pricey.

But anyways back to where im coming from. 0w40 would be more recommended for the "hotter" climates. Since I live in Canada, our winters get into the -20's (with windchill) so using a lower viscosity (hense 0w) is perfect, and 30 which is much easier for the engine to work with on such cold start ups. But in summer time. honestly it would probably be better to use ow40 since the turbo / engine is working harder, and could run the higher viscoisity oil, and probably be much safer to use anyways.,

my 2cents

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oh and btw the Saab 0W 30 Turbo oil was a good oil however it hasn't been imported to the US in a few years.
oops!

yes, after copying that something in the back of my mind said Mobil no longer is making that for Saab anymore.

thx,

Jaime

1 - 15 of 15 Posts