SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about saab mechanics overtighening the oil drain plug, I couldn't get it off! I have heard "liquid wrench" and other such products mentioned before, would there work? Any advice is greatly appricaited.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I had the same problem when I first did it. What you need is a pole to stick on the end of the wrench........and the car to be on a lift so it's easy to get good leaverage. Do you have a mechanic you trust that you can take it to?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two mechanic shops on my street, so I could certainly give that a try if all else fails. I was able to move the wrench but it was stripping, whould using a pole with more leverage prevent that?

G

·
demps said:
I have two mechanic shops on my street, so I could certainly give that a try if all else fails. I was able to move the wrench but it was stripping, whould using a pole with more leverage prevent that?

No using a leverage pole will exacerbate the problem if using a wrench. Use a socket NOT a wrench ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i'll give that a try. I have back to back weddings this weekend :roll:, so it will probably have to wait another week. Thanks for the advice :p, I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Wait, you were using a wrench and not a socket and racket? FOOL!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Demps, here's the answer!

Ok firstly make sure the correct socket is on nice and tight!

Allow the wrench to point dirctly downwards towards the road

Give it a slap, a hard palm of the hand jolt in the direction of "undoing" (not sustained pressure)

Betcha it works!

Plus, put a new nut and washer on after ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i'm a fool for not going with the socket from the get go, live and learn.

i tried the socket today with no luck, although that's before I saw the last post. Do you think it's worth going with the impact method or just having a local mechanic do it?

I have a shinny new nut and washer waiting that i wish was on there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i think my plan for tomorrow is to try the impact method with a damaged bolt remover socket. let me know what you guys think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
demps said:
ok, i think my plan for tomorrow is to try the impact method with a damaged bolt remover socket. let me know what you guys think?
I had the same problem, demps. Noticed slippage removing drain plug during a change, but let it go. The next time, the effing 13 socket wouldn't budge the bolt. In a fit of desperation, whipped out the vise grips (had replacement bolt and washer ready anyhow). Bolt wouldn't budge--very stripped by then, I'll add. Every mechanic I called was itching to replace the pan. These bolt removers saved the day:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=SEARS&pid=00952166000&tab=del

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952162000&tab=des#tabs

Tap them on with a hammer until they "bite in" and twist off. Careful with the hammer though, or you'll be replacing the pan after all.

Regards,
Boomer

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
demps said:
Its a 13mm nut, so an imperial 1/2 inch socket mught be a tighter fit, and yes I would give the "slap" method one go, you want a nice jolt, so make sure the car is secured and you arent laying under there with it on the jack!

If it slips off, then you'll have to try the other methods. The bolt head is quite soft you could hacksaw a slot into it perhaps :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
saabnc said:
Raven says use a wrench...

Now Raven calls out demps for using a wrench...

Make up your mind Raven! :lol:
Haha, yeah, I say wrench meaning thing you use to turn a bolt and often forget it's an actual thing. Open ended wrenches (the kind that looks like a U) are a big no no on almost everything, especially drain plugs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Its a 13mm nut, so an imperial 1/2 inch socket mught be a tighter fit, and yes I would give the "slap" method one go, you want a nice jolt, so make sure the car is secured and you arent laying under there with it on the jack!

If it slips off, then you'll have to try the other methods. The bolt head is quite soft you could hacksaw a slot into it perhaps :confused:
You're making me nervous with the "jolt". Will I be ok with jack stands or do you have another suggestion?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
demps said:
You're making me nervous with the "jolt". Will I be ok with jack stands or do you have another suggestion?
If you have the car setup up properly it'll be fine, but just incase don't get under the tire. :lol: I'd try and break it loose on the ground though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raven18940 said:
If you have the car setup up properly it'll be fine, but just incase don't get under the tire. :lol: I'd try and break it loose on the ground though.
ok, i'll give that a try first, seems like it will be a tight squeeze though

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Axle stands are fine, I meant dont lay under the car on the silly jack that saab provide ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also...make sure you're using a 6 point socket and not a 12 point. Before trying, hit the bolt with a ball peen hammer to shock it being careful not to deform the head any further.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i picked up a set of the damaged bolt removers, which look like they should do the trick. Probably won't get a chance to use them for a few more days though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts